The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Major OmniFocus Crash Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm having the same problem. I did install 10.5.5, and now I cannot open OmniFocus. That doesn't mean those two events are connected, but I suspect they are.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Probably more info would be helpful. Such as any error messages, opening console, etc.

You might try moving Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.omnifocus.plist to the desktop and trying to open it again.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.5 and Omnifocus 1.03 (not the sneaky peek version). As soon as I try to open OmniFocus, I get a message that it crashed (and it asks if I want to submit a crash report).

Moving the document mentioned in the post above to the desktop didn't work.

Last edited by Alcibiades; 2008-09-17 at 03:38 PM..

Okay, I got it to work. What I did was open one of the backups listed in my Documents folder. I don't know why this worked. Odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.5 and Omnifocus 1.03 (not the sneaky peek version). As soon as I try to open OmniFocus, I get a message that it crashed (and it asks if I want to submit a crash report).

Moving the document mentioned in the post above to the desktop didn't work.
You did submit the crash report, right? Even better, when the confirmation message comes back acknowledging the crash report, if you reply and attach your database to the message, they'll be able to verify the fix against your database.

From a message posted by Ken Case (Omni CEO) earlier this year, I gather they take the security of customer data quite seriously. I have sent them mine, though I wish they provided the option of anonymizing the data like OmniPlan does for reports where it isn't likely that the actual text is important.

I'm also getting the crash upon startup of OF. I also upgraded to 10.5.5, but I don't think that upgrading to an official Apple release of the OS should be something I should worry about. If this is a real problem, which it seems to be given this thread, then OmniGroup should release a patch to their product.

I've tried the suggestions here, but nothing has worked. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig34 View Post
I'm also getting the crash upon startup of OF. I also upgraded to 10.5.5, but I don't think that upgrading to an official Apple release of the OS should be something I should worry about. If this is a real problem, which it seems to be given this thread, then OmniGroup should release a patch to their product.

I've tried the suggestions here, but nothing has worked. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
It would be nice indeed if one could install any update to any program (the operating system included) without any worries, but it just doesn't work that way in the real world, not even for Apple software. And assuming that the problem that has been reported is Omni's fault, they can't release a patch until they've found the problem and devised a solution and made reasonably sure it doesn't break something else. Just having a report that something crashes on startup isn't necessarily enough information to reproduce and analyze the problem, because it doesn't happen to everyone.

Probably your best bet is email to urgent@omnigroup.com, but one thing you could try would be creating a new user on your machine and starting up OmniFocus in that user's account. If OmniFocus doesn't crash, you've effectively shown that there is something about your data files, preferences, etc. that is contributing to the crash. Another would be to shutdown and reboot once holding down the shift key until you see "safe boot" appear on the screen. Without seeing a stack trace from the crash report, and not having access to the source code, it is hard to make much more than a guess at what might get you over the obstacle.

I can vouch that this isn't a problem that all user's are having. I upgraded to 10.5.5 without issues. OF is purring along happily.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You did submit the crash report, right? Even better, when the confirmation message comes back acknowledging the crash report, if you reply and attach your database to the message, they'll be able to verify the fix against your database.
Yes, not only did I submit a crash report. When the text box prompted me to explain what I was doing when the crash occurred, I wrote a haiku.

Again, though, all seems to be working. I just clicked on one of the backup files and it popped right up. It was a recent backup, so I just started working from there.