The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Web Interface Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Pretty neat. Via the Internet I entered a new action in the inbox while viewing in OmniWeb. Sure enough, it's in OF.

I may have a conflict, though. While in Inbox view, when I click @ to get back to Context view, nothing happens except my Trader Workstation (Interactive Brokers) app get the focus. I don't know enough about ports and sockets to determine where the conflict lies.

When I initially open the Web interface, Context view opens fine. Going to Inbox view is also no problem, it's only when trying to get back to Context view that the problem presents itself.

After the markets close I'll shutdown Trader Workstation and see if the behavior goes away.

When I checked the Web interface locally I didn't have this behavior.

I'm using port 3000 as that was what the link showed.

With the behavior you describe, it's more likely a bug in the communication between the web server and Focus, not in the ports and networking stuff.

"Safari can't open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server."

Perhaps the iPhone can't handle self-signed certificates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansays
"Safari can't open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server."

Perhaps the iPhone can't handle self-signed certificates?

Any ideas?

Well, using Safari is rather interesting. Once I go through the certificate warning, the Context page loads, but I can't do anything. Can't get to the Inbox or see the actions. Clicking on any link does absolutely nothing.

I'm not a super tech guy. Will someone mind giving me specific instructions on setting up my MacBook Pro, OS 10.4.10, to share my omni stuff? I can log on using safari on the macbook, but I want to access it from Iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
Well, using Safari is rather interesting. Once I go through the certificate warning, the Context page loads, but I can't do anything. Can't get to the Inbox or see the actions. Clicking on any link does absolutely nothing.
In all liklihood you are using Safari 2.x. Safari 3 beta works much better. Opera and Omniweb both seem to have no problem. Who knows what bit of ajax/css/dhtml goodness isn't functioning in 2.x.

I'm trying to get this web interfrace/iphone thing working so I can view things on my shiny new phone, but am getting stuck.

Everything shows up on the browser using Omniweb but I can't figure out how to get into it from the iphone. Actiontec (the qwest dsl modem guys) has a port forwarding feature that they said would work great in combination with the router's "public ip address". I forwarded port 3000 (and 300) just in case but am really not sure what I'm doing!

Would not the address from the iphone be: publicipaddress:3000?

Could someone point me to the post that explains how to use the web interface? The full text search doesn't search for three-letter words, and searches for "iPhone" and other guesses at co-occurring terms are not bringing up what I want.

(By the way, Omni, MySQL lets you change the minimum indexable word length from 3 to 4, and I bet vBulletin does also.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohailm01
Any ideas?
You could...
  1. Leave security up to the user, and assume they know how to configure a home VPN. Probably not the best option, but it's an option.
  2. Let users obtain their own certificates. I have zero experience with this, but it would almost certainly be expensive/complicated.
  3. Centralize authentication via SSL on Omni Group's servers. More complicated, and this requires Omni to maintain a web service. Also, doesn't solve encryption throughout, just protects the user name/password.
  4. Route all traffic through Omni via SSL. Probably the cleanest and most secure solution, but places a (potentially) large bandwidth burden on omnigroup.com. Configuration could be plug-and-play, though, no messing around with port forwarding and dyndns. I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee for a service like this.

For the curious/impatient, SSL can be turned off by right-clicking the OmniFocus app, choosing "Show package contents," and editing contents/resources/rails/config/environment.rb. Comment out the whole "if ENV['USE_SSL']" block, lines 90-110. There's not much point, however, since the rest of the app doesn't work on the iPhone at this time. I'm sure Omni is working on it, now that they have a device on which to test the app.