The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Editing Stencils/Shapes in Use Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I've just starting using Omnigraffle, so my apologies for asking what is probably blindingly obvious, but how can I edit a stencil that is already in use in a canvas? I'm constructing a flowchart, and would like to change a rectangle to a triangle. I know I can cut and paste the text and insert a new stencil, but this means I have to redo the connecting lines, which is a headache.

Any help would be much appreciated, my searches for an answer have been in vain!

Select the item(s) you want to change, bring up the inspector, change the shape...

Thanks. Again my apologies - so I've selected the shape (which has text in) in the document, I've selected the shape I want in the inspector, what do I do next? I've tried clicking, double-clicking, right-clicking, dragging and dropping on top, looked around for some other button to click, but can't seem to do it!

If you select the shape you want to change, then select the Style inspector (command-1), click on the Lines and Shapes tab, and click on the new shape you want, it should do what you want. However, if the shape isn't selected when you click on the new desired shape, nothing will happen.

That's great, thanks, works perfectly! I was operating in the stencils inspector before. Obvious when you know how!

For even more coolness, there's a doodad which allows you to select all of a given shape on a layer, so that you could change all your rectangles to rounded rectangles in one stroke, for example. I won't try to describe it here since I don't have a Mac handy but would encourage you to watch the video tutorial put together by Don McAllister at http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnigraffle/videos/ — if my experience is any indicator, you'll pick up something new each time you watch it while you are getting started.

Thanks again, that's a great tip, very helpful!