The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automatically setting the start date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I'm wondering if it's possible to automatically set the Start date when adding a new task to that current date, when you add it? This would be really handy for me, especially for my "waiting on" context, so that I can see how long I've been waiting for something.

If there's not currently an option for it, does anyone know of a script that would do something similar?

Thanks so much for your help,
Cat

It seems that what you really want to know is when a task was created, which is automatically added to new tasks. To see the date that an action was created, just select it and open the inspector (Click "Inspect" in the toolbar, or Inspectors-->Show Inspectors"). Date "Added" is automatically shown.

Hopefully that helps solve your issue since the "Start" field is really to be used for actions that can't begin before a certain date, so that the action is effectively "hidden" until the start date arrives, and therefore doesn't clutter up your list of actions that are currently actionable.

Last edited by SFF; 2012-01-16 at 04:33 PM..

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm, this sounds like quite a time consuming way to find out when a task is added - is there a way to display date created in a similar way that the start appears next to the task?

It may not be entirely the way the Start is suppose to be used but I find it really useful.

Actually, this may be an easier option. Is there away to make the Start Date field appear on Quick Entry (it already had the Due Date)?

Yes. Open the Quick Entry window. Click on the gear menu at bottom left, and select the columns you want. Click the Save button.

Fantastic! Thank you so much - this is going to save me so much time.

There's a script that might also be useful to you called "Complete and Await Reply" which you can download at http://www.curtclifton.net/projects/