The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Getting things into inbox Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have tried to find a quick answer to this. It is really one of the only things still driving me nuts about my OmniFocus flow... I'm having trouble getting stuff to go into the inbox.

When I quick enter tasks through the day I almost always want them to default to the inbox. When I'm entering a new task I also frequently want them in the inbox since often they are popping into my head while I'm doing something else.

Is there no way to set up quick entry to default to the inbox or to create "new task for the inbox" button that will work in both the context and the project views. When I am in project view adding new tasks I don't really need the "new task" button because I'm frequently in the project and add with the enter button to get a new line. What I need is a quick and non disruptive way to pop something into inbox for me to think about it later. I would prefer that this not require me to leave context view if I'm otherwise "doing" or to leave the project to highlight the inbox in the project view because then I need to find my space again. Does that make sense? Given the flow of GTD, it would seem that there would need to be a quick and easy way to get every thought into inbox without disrupting flow. I'm resorting now to using a note pad and entering them later but this seems silly given that I'm right there in the program. Maybe there is a way to do this that I'm missing.

Cheers,
Shanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
I have tried to find a quick answer to this. It is really one of the only things still driving me nuts about my OmniFocus flow... I'm having trouble getting stuff to go into the inbox.
Cheers,
Shanana
In the quick entry window simply don't assign the items a project or a context -- they'll end up in the Inbox.

You can also set a preference so that *all* quick entry items go to the inbox.

I'd also like to have a way to send them back there. Or, to fully replace my tickler file, have them pop up in the inbox on their start date (if they don't have context and project assigned).

Thank you Matt and Anna,
I'm sure I tried this before and the tasks spun off into never never land, is this new recently?

Anna, I agree, it would be nice to have items assignable to a "tickler" and have them come back to inbox on the date assigned. This is the way I like my workflow to go but can figure out a way to do that with this system.

Cheers,
Shanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
Or, to fully replace my tickler file, have them pop up in the inbox on their start date (if they don't have context and project assigned).
I have floated that idea before, but it didn't receive much enthusiasm then.