The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FR: Available Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As a slight extention of this idea... how about projects switching themselves back "On Hold" if the next action has a "Waiting For" context. ie. the project is stalled waiting for something/someone external.

Currently OF displays a task with a "Waiting For" context as grey. All subsequent sequential tasks are also grey (unavailable). Could we simply grey out the project name (make it appear inactive/unavailable) if the next action has a Waiting For context?

Currently I have a "Waiting For" project folder that I drag projects in to in order to distinguish them from the projects in my "Active" project folder.

This whole thread makes so much sense I'd be really surprised if Omni didn't add some of these features in.

Quote:
Currently OF displays a task with a "Waiting For" context as grey.
Really? I had no idea. How is this activated? I have a context called waiting for and it's actions are not greyed automatically. This isn't too much of a bother since I only go to that context as a part of the daily review to see if I'm done waiting for anything ;) but I'm curious as to how this feature works since I might be able to put it to use in other ways.

Shanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
Really? I had no idea. How is this activated?
Actions assigned to inactive contexts are not available and are therefore displayed in gray by default. To toggle the active state of a context select it in the context sidebar, then right-click it or use the context inspector.

I personally leaving my Awaiting context active. That way I don't have to change the context view from Active Contexts to All Contexts in order to review Awaiting action items.

Curt

Actually what I have done is gone into the inspector and left my "Waiting For" context set to "Active" but also unchecked "Allow Next Actions". This way it will not become a next action for a project and thus be greyed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywest View Post
Actually what I have done is gone into the inspector and left my "Waiting For" context set to "Active" but also unchecked "Allow Next Actions". This way it will not become a next action for a project and thus be greyed out.
That's better. You still have to change the context filter from Available to Remaining in order to see those actions, but I can see how making the "Waiting For" actions less in-your-face would be helpful.

Curt

The other advantage of that approach is that inactive contexts aren't hidden from the quick-fill menus.

I think I am already doing this... please help me understand how what you are suggesting is different?

In the project view
Select the view icon/button
group items by start date

Close all groupings
and leave open any that say within the last...

-------------------------------

One suggestion is to be able to select multiple projects
and focus on them

And maybe this is your point...
You want to focus on projects that have started, or have a start date.

You could set all your projects that don't have a date to on hold?