The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Managing complex projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Some of my workload consists of multi-month projects, which I manage in OmniOutliner. A typical project outline contains many pages of deeply-nested non-action reference data which make it inappropriate to develop the outline in OF. There are, nevertheless, many actions distributed through the outline. Some are undated and parallel. Others are hard-dated deadlines. Still others are contingent upon events rather than dates.

I've tried putting a single item in OF and linking it to the project outline. That keeps me on track for the project kickoff, but leaves me with no reminders for subsequent tasks. I've tried doing double-entry, putting the actions in both OO and OF. But except for the deadlines, the project is a moving target. I keep track of all the changes in OO, but then must remember to go back and duplicate the changes in OF. The simplest solution would be the ability to attach alarms to line items in OO. I've suggested this to OmniGroup, but they don't plan to implement it. I assume that it's too much feature bloat for a tool intended to be an outliner.

I would be pleased to hear how more experienced OF users manage complex projects.

Sorry for the long post. I tried to get some feedback in July and got zero responses, which I took to mean either that it was an intractable problem, or that I hadn't explained adequately. This is an attempt to address the latter possibility.

Thanks for reading.