The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Erroneous Sync error messages in v1.8 [now fixed in 1.8.1] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I also have this problem, as does another user on Twitter - I find restarting the app is sufficient to get rid of the problem for a short while, it then seems to randomly reoccur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa8184 View Post
...I find restarting the app is sufficient to get rid of the problem for a short while,...
Yes indeed it looks like this does the job.

But I noticed a few times since 1.8 that items are not updated from active to due soon or overdue. In fact 1.7.3 had this problem very clearly, with 1.8 it is much better now. However a few times it happened again. And I think each time before, I got the sync error message......

What confuses me is that I get two sync errors: One with the time out and the other with the message that the database could not be synced because of a "bad file descriptor", whatever that means...

Last edited by Chrome; 2010-11-21 at 09:04 AM..

I've had a couple of syncs fine, however sometimes I still get "unable to synchronise database with server. The request timed out."
Sometime it will synchronise, and then a second later, get the same message.
What's going on?

I'm using the omnigroup syncing beta here: https://sync.omnigroup.com and I've noticed the same thing today. Seems like they might be having server issues.

- Don

Nope, there is bug in 1.8 unfortunately. Look here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18992

Looks like Sync is somewhat buggy in 1.8. Look here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18992

Me, i am getting the bad file descriptor message, too. In addition to a Server timeout error. But it seems that syncing is working, despite the false error messages.

Greetings

Sorry about this - there are two things going on here.

This is a different error message, but it's another case where OmniFocus is reporting an error message that happened in the past over and over again until the app or the phone is rebooted, even if a subsequent sync is successful.

When this happens, the message does mean that a previous sync didn't complete, but the way the app *should* handle this is to just quietly start a new sync and try again; it should only be bothering you guys if it's persistently unable to finish one. Right now, it's basically saying "HEY GUYS A PREVIOUS SYNC DIDN'T FINISH" every time you sync. Not terribly helpful.

We'll fix this, but in the meantime, the same workaround from the other thread should work - restart the app or the phone to clear the message. Really sorry for the trouble, everyone.

Hi,

The last few days the old "unable to find sync server" has turned up again.
Somewhat randomly this time.

I'm running 1.8 on an iPhone 4 and 1.8.1 on the Mac.
Wifi (Bonjour) syncing to MacBook Pro on Ethernet. And yes there's a Wifi access point and all other "net connections" are working fine.
"Bonjour browser" on the Mac shows/lists both the iPhone and the Mac.

Sharing the sync settings, from the Mac, again helps somewhat sometimes.
Restarting the app helps sometimes, restarting the application helps sometimes.

Don't know what to try next.

/Anders

There's a known bug in 1.8 that's been acknowledged; it should be fixed in 1.8.1 I believe.