The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Project perspective that shows all sequential actions but no actions before start date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Is it possible to make a custom project view that displays all actions of parallel and sequential projects without showing any projects that are on hold and actions with a later starting date?

Right now my settings for the planning view are:
Project Filter: Active
Availability Filter: Remaing
Status Filter: Any Status

The only issue I have with this setting is that when I am planning for the day to flag the specific actions I want to work on, that it also shows me actions with a later starting date (e.g. making a monthly payment).

To hide actions with a later starting date I can set the Availability Filter to "Available" but then it only shows me the first action from sequential projects.

I want, however, to see the remaining actions of a sequential project as well, so I can flag them and make possible changes to them (e.g. adding missing actions or change the action order).

On the iPad it is even more problematic because it doesn't offer a "project filter".
If I want to see on the iPad all actions of a sequential project, I have to switch from "available" to "remaining".

This, however, also displays all the projects that are on hold additionally to the actions with a start date like on the Mac - this really clutters the whole project view.

For now I have just switched all my sequential projects to parallel, but I hope I am missing something here.

I've read that this is done on purpose because of the philosophy behind Omnifocus to only show the next action.

The official GTD website davidco.com, however, prefers to use parallel for all projects so you can see the remaining actions.

I've read here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=26614 , that Omnigroup plans to implement this feature as an option to show remaining actions of sequential projects as available.

Last edited by enigma2k; 2012-11-22 at 03:54 AM..