The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Default Font for Shapes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before - I have searched the forums and found partial answers but not a definitive response.

How do I change the default font used in Shape Tool labels in my default template?

I have successfully changed the default font for the font tool, but no matter what I do I can't get it to change for shapes.

Thanks for any help.

Option-click on the shape tool. Then select Format>Show Fonts and choose the font you want.

Option-clicking a tool is the way you set any default property for the objects created by the tool. Omni calls it "inspecting the tool" in the help.

(This is in OG 5 and previous versions. I don't know if it's changed in OG 6.)

Thanks for the suggestion.
This definitely works for the document I am working in, but I am trying to change the default font for the Shape Tool in my default Template.
This is what happens:
I launch OmniGraffle and a blank document is opened using my default Template.
The default font for the Shape Tool is Arial Bold 16.
The default font for the Text Tool is Helvetica Neue Light 14.
I exit out of the document and go to File>New Resource>New Template.
I select my existing default Template.
I select New Template. (Selecting Edit Template does nothing - it closes the dialogue box but no document opens).
I inspect style for the Shape Tool.
I change the font to Helvetica Neue Light 14.
I save the new Template.
I set the template as the default.
I go File>New
A new document opens. The default font for the Shape Tool is Helvetica Neue Light 14.
Success!
But...
I quit OmniGraffle.
I relaunch OmniGraffle and a new document opens and the Shape Tool default font is... Arial Bold 16
I go to File>Template Chooser.
Select my default Template.
A blank diagram opens and the default font for the Shape Tool has reverted to Arial Bold 16.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

It seems to be a bug.

One thing that might work: While Edit Template in the template chooser does nothing, you can edit the template directly. Templates are in ~/Library/Application Support/The Omni Group/Omnigraffle/Templates. Double-click a template file there to edit it. (Just changing the default font there seems to do nothing, as you found with a new template.) Change the font and something else, say color, as the defaults for shapes in the template. Save it. Open the template again and set the color back to its original. Save it. The change in font may be retained when you do this, though it doesn't always work. (Make sure you're editing the template, by the way. If OG wasn't already open, opening the template to launch OG will also open a new-document window. Close that one to get to the template window.)