The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My way of processing email to OF on iPhone - inbox zero style (requires IMAP email) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I've been using this method for a long time, even before my OmniFocus and iPhone days. In my case, I have four folders for triaging stuff out of my inbox: Action for things I need to action later (which I use more or less as described above), Info for things that I need to keep handy for quick reference, Reading for things that i want to read later, but are not necessarily actionable, and Archive for everything else (my Archive folder is actually a small set of sub-folders based on areas of responsibility -- I keep them fairly high-level such as Work, Personal, etc).

When I'm reviewing my e-mail on my iPhone, I basically leave the item in the Inbox if it's something I plan to action by the end of the business day (ie, as soon as I return to my desk or shortly thereafter), otherwise it gets filed into one of the other folders -- Action, Info, Reading or Archive. I have tasks in my Daily Review to check my Action folder each morning, during which time I triage those items and turn them into OF actions or projects. I use separate recurring actions in OF to remind me to check the Info and Reading folders on a less regular basis (mostly for cleanup purposes).

I've been toying with an Applescript that can run as a scheduled task (via cron) to automatically transmogrify my "Action" folder into my OF inbox as items show up in there. As a concept it's actually not too difficult to do -- it's really just a modification of the Applescript for handling received items -- but the daily review of the Action folder is actually a useful part of my workflow; on my iPhone I rarely take the time to go through an e-mail in detail -- I can usually figure out if it's something that should go on today's schedule within the first couple of lines, and if so, then I toss it into the Action folder to review later.