The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Req: Filtered Results Display Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
First - can anyone tell me if feature requests ought be made here or via feedback from OF? I usually send them through feedback, but I'm feeling froggy....

Part 1

So - In Project mode, if you click in the left pane so that all projects are displayed in the right, then filter by flag or by time, the display not only shows your results by project, but it also lists every project that has NO matching results. So if I have a bunch of projects the display can get particularly cluttered.

This is exacerbated by the fact that it doesn't reorder the projects (which I would argue it actually shouldn't do anyway) so that I might have a flagged item, then 10 title rows indicating projects with no results, then another flagged item, the more rows...you get the picture. This actually happens in the Context view as well.

I'd really like any projects or contexts with no results according to the filter selection to just not show up in the right hand pane at all.

I will grant however that I may not be thinking this through, so please disabuse me of this if I've gone off my nut.

Part 2

Now that I'm thinking about it, and this just occurred to me, one could argue that the choice to view flagged items shouldn't actually be in the menu it is currently in - I can definitely see a situation where I'd like to view all Available Flagged, or all Next Flagged etc etc. Maybe we need a flag flag?

Dunno - but what do other people think - I'm perfectly willing to accept that perhaps I'm going to far afield from strict GTD, but if the flags are there, it seems logical to be able to sub-sort them according to GTD rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast
Now that I'm thinking about it, and this just occurred to me, one could argue that the choice to view flagged items shouldn't actually be in the menu it is currently in - I can definitely see a situation where I'd like to view all Available Flagged, or all Next Flagged etc etc.
I agree - I made the same point in this thread.

Strongly agree with both points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast
I'd really like any projects or contexts with no results according to the filter selection to just not show up in the right hand pane at all.
For me, I would still need the option to see all projects or contexts, easily, for two reasons:

1) I would want to be able to move to any project or context without having to rejigger the filter. For example, when checking to be sure that all my projects have active tasks, its precisely the empty ones to which I might want to go next to consider whether they are complete or need more planning.

2) I want the ability to drag and drop actions to any possible target contexts or projects.

All that said, we could be both satisfied by either of these solutions, I think:

1) Instead of disappearing, projects or contexts that do not contain actions meeting the filter are grayed out.

2) Projects or contexts that do not contain actions meeting the filter disappear, but holding down the Option key adds them to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
For me, I would still need the option to see all projects or contexts, easily, for two reasons:

1) I would want to be able to move to any project or context without having to rejigger the filter. For example, when checking to be sure that all my projects have active tasks, its precisely the empty ones to which I might want to go next to consider whether they are complete or need more planning.

2) I want the ability to drag and drop actions to any possible target contexts or projects.

All that said, we could be both satisfied by either of these solutions, I think:

1) Instead of disappearing, projects or contexts that do not contain actions meeting the filter are grayed out.

2) Projects or contexts that do not contain actions meeting the filter disappear, but holding down the Option key adds them to the list.
In the case of your point 1, to find out what projects have no tasks can't you just remove all filters and look at the resulting list that way? To my mind, the point of the filters is to find tasks that conform to specific criteria, so by definition when I am filtering I'm not really interested in projects with no tasks at all.

For point the second, I'm not requesting that contexts/projects with no results disappear from the LEFT pane, just the results pane. You can still drag a task and drop it on any project/context in the left pane quite easily.

The problem for me with your solution number 1 is that it doesn't de-clutter the results pane at all which is something I really would like.

Sorry - totally misread your post. I thought you were talking about the left pane. In total agreement that empty "containers" should not appear in the right pane when filtering...