The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

custom stencils: custom shape names? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hi!
is it possible to name custom shapes in custom stencils?
when i select the shape in the stencils window, i only see the latest action or base shape name for the newly created custom shape. as in the attached screenshot: instead of "anpassbarer pfeil" (en: modifyable arrow?), i'd like to assign a custom name.
so far i've found the notes tab and the key/value options in the inspector...both assign information to the shape, but no actual name.
anybody know of a solution?
thanks in advance! -v.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2011-11-16 um 17.35.41.png
Views:	1136
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	2132  

There doesn't seem to be a reasonable way to do that.

An alternative is to lay out the stencil with a descriptive text caption next to each graphic item. Those will be visible if the stencil palette view control (left side of the palette's toolbar) is set to see the stencil as a whole (left button of the control). To avoid having the text captions show up as items in the stencil, put them in a locked layer of the stencil's canvas and lock the items themselves.

Look at the Periodic Table stencil that came with OG to see how that's done in a general way. (Right click on it in the palette's list and choose "Edit a copy.")

(Now, that stencil in particular does indeed have a new shape type in it, "Atom." If you are feeling very, very curious, you can dive into the OG app's contents, find the Periodic Table stencil, open it (or its data.plist) in a text editor, and look for "ExportShapes" to see how it was done. Not for the faint of heart.)

Last edited by john.gersh; 2011-11-17 at 12:59 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gersh View Post
There doesn't seem to be a reasonable way to do that.
(snip)

(Now, that stencil in particular does indeed have a new shape type in it, "Atom." If you are feeling very, very curious, you can dive into the OG app's contents, find the Periodic Table stencil, open it (or its data.plist) in a text editor, and look for "ExportShapes" to see how it was done. Not for the faint of heart.)
thanks for your reply, especially for that last part. i found a stencil with a data.plist in its .gstencil content - but couldn't figure out a way how to add a "data.plist" to my own .gstencil :(

so here goes to the probably lurk-reading OG people: please add a functionality to the next OG release to add custom shape names!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vobu View Post
probably lurk-reading OG people
Well, possibly, but the probability of implementation will be much increased if you submit the request through Help > Send Feedback ... in the main OmniGraffle menu.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Well, possibly, but the probability of implementation will be much increased if you submit the request through Help > Send Feedback ... in the main OmniGraffle menu.

--
good call. thanks for the hint. just did that!
- v.