The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > General > Forums Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Should 'Old' threads be locked? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There are a couple of threads recently that have been resurrected by a new posting after a year or so of inactivity (In one case over 2 yrs).

Should threads that have been dormant for (say) 90 days be locked to new postings?

Presumably there is something in the forum admin tools that would allow that to happen (semi) automatically.

What's the problem this would solve?

1. Saving time for the people who reply to dead threads.
2. Stopping me from looking at 'new posts' to old threads so saving me time
3. Lizard responded to a new post to an old thread that is is better to create a new thread than post to an old one.
4. It's good practice to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrob View Post
1. Saving time for the people who reply to dead threads.
It's not a dead thread if there are people posting to it.
Quote:
2. Stopping me from looking at 'new posts' to old threads so saving me time
See above.
Quote:
3. Lizard responded to a new post to an old thread that is is better to create a new thread than post to an old one.
I think it is better to create a new thread if you are discussing a new topic, but if you are continuing the old one, I don't see the advantage. New threads can be hijacked just like old, unlocked ones.
Quote:
4. It's good practice to do so.
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong :-)

I've toyed with this idea, but in the end I decided against it. It definitely can be confusing to have a thread brought back from dormancy, but at least it keeps the relevant conversation in one place.

I fear that the result of locking old threads would be a proliferation of "I see an old conversation about this but I can't post there so I started a new one" threads, which would in turn make it harder for folks to tell which search results had the info they were looking for in them.

Last edited by Brian; 2012-02-28 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: omitted "be" from 2nd sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. :-)
I think it would be more accurate to say that reasonable opinions can vary. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I think it would be more accurate to say that reasonable opinions can vary. :-)
I submit as proof of the clear superiority of my version that one can buy t-shirts emblazoned with it :-)