The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Sync kills WiFi connection [A: WiFi + Bluetooth causing radio interference] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Looking at the iPhone console logs you can see it dropping the connection to WiFi although not a lot of indications why.

As calumma suggested, putting the phone into airplane mode, enabling WiFi, and syncing always works - and very quickly. It is of course re-establishing the WiFi link when this happens. However when airplane mode is switched off (WiFi still on or just started if I had not explicitly started it in airplane mode), then OmniFocus goes back to very sluggish sync, and a tendency to knock the phone off WiFi entirely (leading to no sync).

Is it possible that this is what's going on, and putting the phone into airplane mode overrides that behavior by turning off the cellular radio?

Hi all,
I'm a very recent convert to Omnifocus and have now invested in ipad, iphone and just about to take the plunge to purchase the mac version also. BUT.. i'm having issues that when i sync (im current using the beta of omnigroup, but have also tried my mobile me account) it seems to take an age.. (1 project with three actions as I'm testing the functionality before utilising the software correctly) and then both the ipad and iphone say they have lost wifi connection and stop syncing.

I've done a quick look at the forum but can't see anyone else having any issues. Any help really welcome.
thanks
Roy

UPDATE: I have just spotted a thread all about wireless sync dropping signals, but it does seem most issues are related to iphone 3 running ios4. I'm using an iphone 4 running iOS4. If mods wish to move this thread to another location.. thats fine, sorry for not picking up the other thread first.

Last edited by orbitdist; 2010-10-15 at 02:40 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumma View Post
I appreciate the advice but I remain unconvinced. What I don't understand is if my airport connection is unreliable, why does the sync succeed when the phone is placed in airport mode and wifi is then manually reselected.
I too have this issue. I have recently (today) taken the ipad /iphone apps and set up a beta sync server with omnifocus. Every time I try to sync my iphone or ipad, the wifi crashes out and I have to manually restart them. I tried the airplane mode solution you mentioned and the iphone works very quickly and without problems. Unfortunately the ipad still just crashes as it doesn't have 3g connectivity, hence no airplane mode.

I'm using iphone 4 with iOS4 and a draytek wireless router that is no more than 15 feet from where i'm sitting.

Not impressed with this solution, so I'm going to ask for a refund at the apple store as it clearly has bugs and does not work correctly.

Just a quick update. I never got the ipad or iphone OF to actually stop dropping the wifi connection (except by going into Airplane mode on the iphone).. so complained to Apple re the problem and they have refunded the money to me.

OF now removed from all devices.. shame really as it would have suited my requirements quite well.

Does this problem ever affect syncing through the cloud (e.g. to our free sync.omnigroup.com server), or does it only happen when syncing over Bonjour (as the original post seems to suggest)? And does it only happen when using multiple wireless routers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Does this problem ever affect syncing through the cloud (e.g. to our free sync.omnigroup.com server), or does it only happen when syncing over Bonjour (as the original post seems to suggest)? And does it only happen when using multiple wireless routers?
If this was a question for me, then; I'm usingsync via cloud. I've tried both MobileMe and the omni beta server. Both have the same issues as I've described

If you guys are seeing the issue I linked to above, switching to Airplane mode would prevent the WiFi connection from by removing the option for the phone to switch to the cellular radio.

iOS will automatically switch off the WiFi radio a few seconds after the phone goes to sleep, and transfer the remaining data over the cell phone radio instead.

Does the WiFi connection always drop after the phone goes to sleep? If you use settings on the phone to prevent the phone from going to sleep, does the problem still occur?

My phone isn't going to sleep during the sync, in fact, I have my phone set not to sleep, I manually have to press the button on top to shut the screen down

What's happening with mine is that the phone trys to establish the wifi sync, it seems to be working ie get a message ( can't recall exact wording) then it just freezes, waits there for about 20/30 secs, then just shuts down the wifi and stops the sync.

Good to know - if you see that error message again, that text might help us determine what's going on here...