The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Applescripts: Better Templates, Complete Tasks From Mail.app Sender, and Batch-Defer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Got the screencast to work in Safari. Is there any way we might be able to get that cool icon for the script that you are using in the toolbar in the screencast?

You've added even more great features to this script too. Default folder is a great idea as is the chooser variable. Thanks so much!

Actually, never mind. I see that the icon is included with the script.

Been using this for a few more weeks. It's great. Haven't really scratched the surface on the date logic stuff, but the parts I do really lower friction for me.

I did have one thought, though. Most of my templates are what I would call project templates. But I do have a couple that are actually more accurately referred to as task-chain templates (or I suppose sub-projects).

One example would be a template called review document. It contains a set of steps that I use when I review a document (e.g., a contract). So the chain might be:

Review $Name
Draft comments on $Name
Transmit comments on $Name to $PersonName
Receive feedback on $Name comments from $PersonName
Respond to $PersonName comments on $Name
Receive response comments from $PersonName on $Name
Finalize draft of $Name

When I actuate your script, it prompts me for the name of the document and the name of the person who I need to communicate with about the document.

Without your script, there are a lot of situations where I probably would not take the time to enter all these items, because the friction would be too great. But your script makes it very easy to do.

Nevertheless, in my current workflow, I need to create an instance of this template and send it to the folder I've chosen. Then, I need to manually drag it into the project where it will live.

I wonder if it would make sense to create class of template called task-chain or something like that. If that flag is in the project notes field of the template, then when the applescript is run, it would prompt the user and ask them which project they want to put the finished template into (or even more ideally where exactly in the order of the project it should be inserted).

It's a not a big thing, but I do think that at least for me, the less friction I have in entering these kinds of chains into OF, the more likely I am to do it. Otherwise, it's easy to just decide that it isn't worth the effort. And if stuff isn't in OF, then OF can't really help you keep track of it.

Especially on stuff where the review cycle may play out over a couple of days or weeks, having it in OF can be helpful, because then when you do a review and look at your Waiting For context, there will be an entry there showing that you're still waiting to hear back from somebody.

I've been using your wonderful and flexible script for templates and LOVE it. I'm able to automate so much more of my repetitive work this way.

And I'm also have trouble with setting due dates a year or more out. The script seems to add the time and then silently make a correction back one year. Examples:

Code:
due: $today + 12 months
yields a due date of 10/29/13 when it should be 10/26/14.

Code:
due: $today + 1 year
delivers a due date of today

However
Code:
due: $today + 366 days
yields a correct due date of 10/27/14

I can work around the correction by using the last option, but this behavior is not what I expected based on the script instructions that say:
Quote:
When prompted for input, you can use any of the relative or absolute date strings you can normally use with OmniFocus
None of what I have pointed out above negates the value of this amazing tool. Thank you for the work you put in to create this very useful tool so that I as a non scripter could have this added functionality.

Lenore

First off this is a great script and has really provided a lot of value. So thanks.
I often need to undertake a set of actions with a variable list of individuals. This can be to send e-mail to each individual, look for responses, set up meetings etc/all. I was wondering if there was a possibility that you could have an option for some variables that would cause any task with that variable to be duplicated as part of a list expansion ?
Basically if I had a task set such as :
Send email to <list> on $Subject
Wait for response from <list> on $Subject
Combine results from all parties

And when I run the template, I input
List = Tom, Jerry
Subject = Mouse Food

I get:
Send email to Tom on Mouse Food
Send email to Jerry on Mouse Food
Wait for response from Tom on Mouse Food
Wait for response from Jerry on Mouse Food
Combine results from all parties

I was looking at this script and I have no idea how to insert/duplicate a task in place (actually the number of things I do not know about applescript is huge :).

Thank you,
Russ

Love the idea of having a flexible templates system very much - but at the moment I am struggling at a very basic thing: how can I enter a variable at the context field? When I enter it OF automatically deletes it since there is no context with the variable name. Any one has a tip since it it obviously somehow possible to do it.