The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bento for reference material and/or project support? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody had any experience using Bento 2 (or 1 for that matter) for reference material and/or project support files filing in association with OF. Any tips? Particularly interested in experiences linking to Bento from OF, if there are any.

Thanks!

I've been using Bento since it came out, but I don't link anything from it in OF because I'm trying to get my sync times down. What I do is put a note on an action item telling me to look in a particular bento DB for more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpathomas View Post
I've been using Bento since it came out, but I don't link anything from it in OF because I'm trying to get my sync times down.
I don't use Bento, but I don't think linking items should have much (if any) impact on sync performance. Where problems might come in is in embedding attachments in OF. Adding a link can't be more than a few bytes.

jpathomas, I saw your post about sync performance in another thread. While I don't have an immediate solution for you, I thought I'd offer up my database for a point of comparison:

According to OmniFocus on my iPhone 3GS, I've currently got 369 projects and 2290 actions in 19 zip files. I sync over a cable broadband connection to MobileMe, and then to a recent model MacBook Pro.

Doing a sync right now from my iPhone took ~21 seconds and compacted my number of zip files down to 1.

Doing a sync on my MacBook Pro took ~4.5 seconds and also compacted its local database down to 1 zip file.

Additional syncs from the iPhone now take 2 - 4 seconds. Additional syncs from my MacBook Pro now take 1.5 - 2 seconds.

I have no embedded attachments but many, many links and notes.

Sorry for the digression.

-Dennis

Thanks Toadling and jpathomas -I'm going to experiment with linking to Bento items (and if too slow with putting note reminder) just as soon as I'm finished re-dumping everything into my renewed OF system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
Thanks Toadling and jpathomas -I'm going to experiment with linking to Bento items (and if too slow with putting note reminder) just as soon as I'm finished re-dumping everything into my renewed OF system!
Wanted to find out if you had success or suggestions with using Bento as a reference system alongside OF.

I love the idea, and it seems like there could be a natural integration made between the two. It would be cool if projects, as well as general reference, had auto-areas within Bento to manage supporting files.

Hey afweeks,

Been quite a bit taken away from OF due to med schooling... I downloaded the new iPhone version though, and it seems to be a good deal snappier for me, which may reconcile me with it.
In the meantime, I recently switched most of my stuff to reQall Pro + Evernote. I must admit that I'm really, really taken with the combo so far. One thing it does for sure is solve entirely the project support material question. One thing reQall doesn't do, though, is project categorization quite like OF does. I'm not 100% sure I'd actually want it, though, as right now reQall seems to get me to get more things done than any of the previous systems/combo of systems I'd previously used, and is surviving the med school experience, which has messed up irreparably components of my previously sustainable GTD system.
There seems to be a few people asking for OF/reQall integration over on the reQall forums, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with that...
Oh, and Bento is just too, too cumbersome for me to keep using anyway. Evernote also solves the problem of local storage. I must say I had kept away from web-based solutions for a very, very long time, but this seems to work very well for me.

Cheers!