The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Passing feed:// links off to other Apps Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd love Omniweb to pass feed:// and just plain rss feed links off to other Apps when clicked.

Now you can either subscribe in OmniWeb or manually find the feed link, and cut and paste. I'm doing the later of the two but its just not as nice as the method Safari is using, perhaps honouring the default RSS reader in the system would be a good idea?

yes, that would be nice

I third this. There really is no reason (that I can think of) for such a straight forward feature to be missing in 5.5 final, especially when it is standard in all other modern browsers.

OmniWeb 5.1.3 correctly handed off feed: URLs, we just hadn't re-implemented it yet in OmniWeb 5.5 sneaky peek 3.

It's been re-implemented for the next sneaky peek release.

Awesome! Thanks Ken! Does it also pass feeds which use normal href links? (possibly by recognizing that the page being loaded is in the format of RSS/ATOM)

No, the feature isn't really specific to RSS (so it doesn't have any RSS/ATOM-specific logic): OmniWeb simply hands off any URL scheme it doesn't recognize (in this case, "feed:") to the system's designated application for that scheme. (This is also how "mailto:" links are handled—and iTunes links, etc.)

Thanks for that Ken :D

Feed: urls are nice, but it would be much, much better if Omniweb could pass off the URLs in <link> tags. I'm tired of having to dig around to find the RSS feed for a site: Omniweb can automatically detect sites with feeds and provides an interface for subscribing to them (the status bar subscribe icon). It should be relatively simple to just pass off those URLs to the feed: handler for the system, rather than subscribe in Omniweb.

Thats a good point, OW already has the capability to detect non feed:// links which are feeds, it just needs to be able to pass it off instead of forcing us to use the OW reader.