The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Selecting/clicking/moving items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Folks,

I'm having a devil of a time figuring out where I'm supposed to click to select Projects.

* If I click and hold a disclosure triangle or the small bullet-list icon next to a project, I can drag that project around.

* However, I can't click on the bullet-list icon to select multiple projects; only a single project is ever selected.

* Clicking the bullet-list icon selects the text of that project. If I start to drag the project, it selects the entire project (solid color around the entire item). Releasing it leaves the entire project selected.

* Selecting multiple project seems to require selecting the small, blank space to the left of the disclosure triangle (or other equally small random sections of the project), even though there's this huge bullet-list icon just begging to be used.

* Sometimes I miss the small, blank spaces when doing multiple selections and my selection is lost. "Frustrating" doesn't begin to describe the feeling you get when this happens. "Ready to throw a baseball at the wall" might be a little closer.

* Actions within projects display a bullet when you roll over them, and if you grab it, you can drag it. A very clear target is presented, and it works, always, as a selection handle.

Has anyone figured out how to consistently select projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Whole projects and multiple projects seem to work fine for me. But trying to drag multiple action groups is impossible. I don't think it can be done. (Previously reported via Send Feedback).

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Whole projects and multiple projects seem to work fine for me.
Are you saying you have a consistent way of selecting projects? I'd love to hear what it is. While I can usually select and move projects about 80% of the time, I find myself deselecting projects when trying to add others to the selection. I haven't found a guaranteed place to click to make selections.

Are you holding down the Cmd button while clicking to select multiple items? If not, try it. If so, I don't get what you're saying either.

Quote:
I'm having a devil of a time figuring out where I'm supposed to click to select Projects.
Same here. Selecting projects (and tasks) in OmniFocus goes awry too often.

I click in the space at the very left edge of the content pane, left of the disclosure triangle.

I should clarify also. When I said that selecting whole projects "works fine", I mean that I can select and drag whole projects. But I agree that the current selection behavior is broken. For example, clicking on the index card icon in a project row should select it, not switch to editing mode. I have the whole text of the project name as a click target for editing. The icon should be a click target for selecting and dragging.

Curt

Quote:
You're supposed to be able to click anywhere on the project icon (the one you referred to as the "bullet list icon") to select it, but right now there's a bug that causes you to start editing its label when you click there. We're planning to fix that.

For now, the only way to consistently select projects with the mouse is to click in the gutter to the left of the project. (To select multiple projects at once, Command-Click, Shift-Click and drag-selecting all work as they do in the Finder.)

(And again, we'll fix clicking on that icon.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
For now, the only way to consistently select projects with the mouse is to click in the gutter to the left of the project. (To select multiple projects at once, Command-Click, Shift-Click and drag-selecting all work as they do in the Finder.)
It's true, that works, but it requires precision clicking and goes wrong too often. Please make the gutter wider or fix the icon-click, or, even better, do both (so dragging to select multiple items is easier, too).