The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting in Projects View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I click on the Projects button on the toolbar, it gives me a Perspective with the Sort filter showing "Unsorted". I selected "Flagged", but it didn't change the order of any items in any project. Flagged and Unflagged items are mixed together. The items in the projects seem to be sorted by Contexts, but not all. One or two projects have even the Contexts mixed up. Am I doing something wrong?

The Projects button gives you a project-oriented view of your projects, so when you tell it to sort by Flagged, it is sorting the projects, not the actions in the projects. If you have some flagged projects, they will be sorted to the top of the view, and unflagged ones will sort to the bottom of the view. Projects which are unflagged but contain flagged actions will be left in their normal position (sidebar order).

The rule of thumb is that if the display shows you complete projects in outline form, the granularity of sorting, searching or filtering will be the project. If the display shows you actions (not outlined), the granularity will be the action.

Thanks for the quick response. I take it then, that the only way to sort actions within a project - to put the flagged ones above the unflagged ones - is manually. Yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
I take it then, that the only way to sort actions within a project - to put the flagged ones above the unflagged ones - is manually. Yes?
For the most part, yes. However, there are some sorting options under the Edit menu that will permanently sort the selected items. I don't recall if they include an option to sort by flag state.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I take it then, that the only way to sort actions within a project - to put the flagged ones above the unflagged ones - is manually. Yes?
Are you interested in actually rearranging the actions, or merely seeing a list where the flagged actions come before the unflagged ones? If you want the latter, you can go to context mode, group by project, sort by flagged, and you'll see the actions in each project as a group, with the flagged ones first.