The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Synch Time on Iphone is totally unacceptable Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Delete

Last edited by soccerplayer; 2008-08-02 at 04:43 PM..

It seems to have gotten worse in the last day or two.

It's taking me 2 minutes on a fast wi-fi, and probably 10-20 mins on EDGE (which doesn't really work for me, since my iPhone goes off after 2 mins).

I have 100 or so projects, but only 20 or so active ones; and most of those have 10 or less tasks.

I'm wondering if the database being synced contains items that have been checked off? I have 1000s of those, but don't know how to delete them.

Have a look at the OmniFocus.ofocus file on your MobileMe or WebDAV server -- select the file and right-click on it to get the contextual menu, then choose Show Package Contents. How many files are you seeing after you've synced? And how big is the whole thing?

You can use the File->Move Old Data to Archive... command to move your older completed items out of the active database, which should help speed things up. I think OmniFocus is able to read and write the individual transaction files without having to transfer/rewrite the whole package on each sync, so old stuff that isn't changing shouldn't be quite so much of a burden, but there's not a lot of memory or cpu horsepower on the iPhone, so archiving the old stuff is probably a good plan. One nice feature of the archive command is that it will tell you how many completed items there are before a given date which could be prospectively shuffled out to pasture.

I'm brand new to OF, so this is my first post. I have had horrible luck with iPhone syncing the last few days as well. The sync never finishes, regardless of connection type. The Synchronization area in Settings says only "sync currently in progress" and I don't ever see the progress bar any more. I have tried the Reset Database option on the iPhone, and have also reinstalled the app itself. OF on the Mac seems to be working just fine (v77.9.0.103638), as far as I can tell, since my two Mac copies are staying in sync, but this problem seems to have happened directly after one of the Sneaky Peek updates, not the iPhone 1.0.2 update. Maybe. Who can tell for sure? Sigh!

Relevant or irrelevant info: OF database sync file size is only 3.2MB. I have a fairly small collection of projects so far, so I know this is not a database size issue. I don't need to move old data to archive yet.

Just wanted to share that I'm having this issue too.

I was having this same problem over the last couple of days. I followed above instructions, opening the package (OmniFocus.ofocus) file on iDisk. There was 546 files there. I then moved old items to archive, setting the date to 8/1/2008. When I checked the OmniFocus.ofocus package again, the number of files dropped to just a handful. I then synced from my Macbook - selecting local copy when prompted. After this I opend OF on my iPhone and selected server copy when prompted. Everything is back to normal now.

I'll watch this closely. After finally feeling the relief of having control over my crazy project and task list - I was absolutely freaking out at the possibility of losing everything now that I'm trusting OF. Let's hope whatever this isn't lasting and get's fixed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekowicz View Post
I'm brand new to OF, so this is my first post. I have had horrible luck with iPhone syncing the last few days as well. The sync never finishes, regardless of connection type. The Synchronization area in Settings says only "sync currently in progress" and I don't ever see the progress bar any more. I have tried the Reset Database option on the iPhone, and have also reinstalled the app itself. OF on the Mac seems to be working just fine (v77.9.0.103638), as far as I can tell, since my two Mac copies are staying in sync, but this problem seems to have happened directly after one of the Sneaky Peek updates, not the iPhone 1.0.2 update. Maybe. Who can tell for sure? Sigh!

Relevant or irrelevant info: OF database sync file size is only 3.2MB. I have a fairly small collection of projects so far, so I know this is not a database size issue. I don't need to move old data to archive yet.

Just wanted to share that I'm having this issue too.

My OmniFocus.ofocus file is at 2.2mb and contains 499 items. I delete all completed actions and projects religiously, and have 39 projects, each with about 4 actions on average, not one of them older than 10 days.

It is incredibly slow to sync on the iPhone even over wi-fi. Takes just a few seconds on the desktop.

It would be incredibly useful if Omni could let us know if the sync continues in the background if we quit OF? I believe quitting doesn't actually quit (holding the home button down does that), but am not sure. Now we have manual syncing it helps, but not if we have to sit and wait for a sync to finish before we can do anything else.

Mark

Same problem here: endless sync times. Checked OmniFocus.ofocus file on iDisk, cleaned out a ton of files, leaving those from this afternoon. Now I'm getting a "Unable to synchronize database with server" message, followed by "Unable to read document" and "No root transactions found in https://idisk.me.com/[username]/Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus/".

Can I just start from scratch, without losing my database?

I was going to try the archiving feature just to see what happens, but I can't do that because I have a couple shopping lists in OF, and archiving would remove all of those "completed" items. (I just started using OF less that a week ago, so my shopping items are about the oldest things in there.) The completed tasks for other projects number in the single digits, so not much to do away with there.

My package on MobileMe cloud disk is 2 MB, almost 500 files. It's taking over 5 mins to sync to iPhone with a fast, dependable wifi connection.

OK, now the sync has frozen iPhone OF. Had to end task on it.

Reopened iPhone OF. Loading is taking a looooonnnnnnng time.

If it would help for me to reduce my hundreds of projects to a dozen, please just tell us that, OmniGroup. This whole thing syncing problem is becoming unacceptable.

And OF's biggest competitor, Things, is about to release a sync version. I'm already in line.

Truly, I have a love/hate relationship with OF.

I can't believe this: iPhone OF has been "Loading..." the database for over 10 minutes on a fast wi-fi.

I guess if you make the mistake of ending task on the app while it's syncing, that completely corrupts the entire database, yes?, and you have to reload it from scratch, which I guess can take crazy long times.

Word to the wise.