The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Inbox and enter key Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I tried out THL and Things and now I'm back to Omni Focus. I updated to the latest version and now I think an old behavior has changed. IIRC, when I select the Inbox and press enter I should get a new action, but now I have to right click and select "Add Action". After that I can just press enter to get a new action, but if I empty the Inbox and press enter then nothing happens again.

The return (enter) key in an empty Inbox creates a new action for me, running 1.7.1 and Leopard 10.5.8. What version of OmniFocus and OS are you using?

I'm running the same for OS X and OF. Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking at. When hit Return I just hear a beep.

It looks like your focus is in the sidebar instead of the main pane. Try clicking the Inbox group heading on the right, then pressing enter.

Curt

that was the problem. i feel stoopid.

Return and enter aren't the same function, and aren't interchangeable in OF, at least as it comes out of the box. Which one are you using? You've given two different answers in your two posts...

As of 1.5, the behavior of the Enter key has changed somewhat (from the release notes archive):
Behavior of Enter and Escape Keys: We are trying to move away from the use of the Escape key to confirm changes, as most applications use it to cancel changes. So by default, the Enter key now switches between row selection and text editing modes, rather than moving to the note area. You can still move in and out of the note area by pressing Command-Apostrophe. You can also still use the General preferences to customize the behaviors of the Escape and Return keys in Quick Entry.
With a completely out of the box setup, the return key will get you a new action in an empty Inbox regardless of whether the focus is in the sidebar or the outline. The enter key will get you a beep in that same situation.

I'm using the Return key, but I'm getting the beep if the sidebar is active. The only thing I changed is to reset the style.

hmm, now it appears to be working. I'm guessing this is an ID10T error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary gtd View Post
The only thing I changed is to reset the style.
Aha, maybe the style preferences window was the one at the top of the window stack, without you realizing it. That would generate a beep on hitting enter or return, and then when you clicked on the sidebar or main outline to follow Curt's suggestion, it would start working -- because you now had the right window active.