The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Adjust Canvas Size to Add Title? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I appreciate how much this program nudges us chart creators into the right direction WRT human perception and chart design. Bravo! OGS has become my go to grapher because of that. Please keep resisting the urge to add features that will cause bad graph design.

One thing that's always confused me is why it's hard to add a title. I can type the title just fine, of course, but I can't change the canvas size without mucking with the aspect ratio. It's bad graph design to create graphs that don't have titles. I create many graphs for analysis and only a few make it to Photoshop to be hardened. Due to this workflow, I'm getting in the habit of not titling my graphs.

Am I missing a way to do this w/in OGS?

Thanks.

Are you using OmniGraphSketcher on a Mac, or an iPad?

OmniGraphSketcher for Mac has the ability to adjust the canvas margins, giving you an area to add a title. You can do this directly on the graph (try hovering over the maximum x or y value somewhere other than on the axis to get a purple margin guide as in the attached screenshot), or using the canvas inspector.

If you have a graph with an aspect ratio that you want to preserve, but would like to resize the canvas around it, try holding the command key while dragging the handle in the bottom right corner of the canvas. The graph area will stay the same size, but the margins around it will be increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
try holding the command key while dragging the handle in the bottom right corner of the canvas
Works perfectly! Thank you.

(Mac version BTW)

Thanks!

I love OGS and hope it continues to get a lot of love and attention. I use it all the time!