The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cannot save to server Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Neither unchecking QuickLook nor OG4 did the trick. Must be something involving Managed User on Leopard. I've seen saving to server issues mentioned on Apple's discussion group but nothing like this.

You mentioned in one of the earlier posts that you could save successfully to the local disk. What happens if you do that, then copy the file to the server? Any errors? What about if you attempt to edit a pre-existing OG file residing on the server?

I'm still trying to tease out whether it is something about the file that causes the problem, or the way in which it is created/written...it's an interesting puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You mentioned in one of the earlier posts that you could save successfully to the local disk. What happens if you do that, then copy the file to the server? Any errors? What about if you attempt to edit a pre-existing OG file residing on the server?

I'm still trying to tease out whether it is something about the file that causes the problem, or the way in which it is created/written...it's an interesting puzzle!
Copying the file after saving it locally works fine - that is my fallback position. I just hate telling students all semester long to be sure to save to their drive and then say, okay for OG you save to the computer and then copy to your drive. That way lies madness as my programming mentor used to say.

Yeah, it is an interesting puzzle....interesting puzzles (and irrational supervisors) is what made me leave IT for teaching <grin>

Thought I would offer a little perspective in case you are still having this issue. I just tested saving from OG 5 to a AFP share point on our 10.5.4 Server and had no errors.

To me this would mean the issue is in the configuration of your server combined with how OG saves files.

What protocol does this share use?

I have the same issue. Copying my company server from my hard drive works fine, however directly saving results in an error. Of all my apps only omnigraffle seems to exhibit this behavior.

I never understood it, but the work around (for me) was easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven View Post
Thought I would offer a little perspective in case you are still having this issue. I just tested saving from OG 5 to a AFP share point on our 10.5.4 Server and had no errors.

To me this would mean the issue is in the configuration of your server combined with how OG saves files.

What protocol does this share use?
We are using Novell with AppleShare services, but that is irrelevant. The student's Novell account it totally separate from the Mac User Account. In other words, the computers have three accounts: a standard account used by teachers which allows them to access all programs, managed account used by students which restricts them to certain programs, and my admin account.

Privileges from this account have no bearing on Novell access. To whit, using my Novell account, I can save an OG file if I log on to the computer using my admin account. I cannot save if I log onto the computer using my student test account. (Interestingly, I cannot recall if I tested the teacher account or what the result was if I did.) If I use my Novell student account I can save if I log onto the computer with my admin account but not my student account.

It seems to me that OG must be attempting to save a temporary file of some type in a location that the managed account has no priveleges to.