The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's the status of OmniOutliner for iPad? [A: Now available on App Store!] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo Suominen View Post
I set up OmniFocus sync via Omni Sync, and that seems to work well. However, there's no method of setting up Omni Sync within OmniGraffle. There isn't even a settings panel, only the Import Document button in the top bar, which has the Copy from iDisk and Copy from WebDAV functions. If anyone knows how to set up Omni Sync in OmniGraffle for iPad, please let me know.
Omni Sync Service is just WebDAV, so that is the option you use. The site field will be https://sync.omnigroup.com/your_user_name and the user name and password fields get your user name and password for the service, of course.
Quote:
Thanks! Now I'm can open OmniGraffle documents from my Dropbox on the iPad, which is 50% of what I need. Hope this works in OmniOutliner for iPad also. (Although I'm still hoping for full Dropbox sync...)
While I agree that it would be convenient to have Dropbox support built-in, I would probably prefer that they spent the time implementing additional OmniOutliner functionality rather than yet another file access method. With the Mac version, one at least has the opportunity to try to provide missing features via Applescript, but there is no such opportunity on the iPad. It won't matter that I can more easily get a file into the app if the app doesn't support the OO feature I need to use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post
Then I heard it was going to take another 6 months of development to get it out (mid-year, no date promised of course.)
Really???????
Please someone tell me it's not the case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaz View Post
Really???????
Please someone tell me it's not the case...
Okay, it's not the case. Feeling better now? :-)

But seriously, when Ken posts that he's just used it for the first time in a non-testing mode, and says there's a lot of work left to do, well, you've been around long enough to know that means there's a lot of work they expect to have to do, and probably a fair amount that they don't know about yet. Remember Hofstadter's Law:
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
The 90/90 rule often rears its head, too:
The first 90% of the work takes 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the work takes the other 90% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Omni Sync Service is just WebDAV, so that is the option you use. The site field will be https://sync.omnigroup.com/your_user_name and the user name and password fields get your user name and password for the service, of course.
Thanks! The Omni Sync roundtrip works with OmniGraffle documents. Uploaded a bunch of OmniGraffle documents from the Mac to the Omni Sync WebDAV server, imported and edited them in OmniGraffle on the iPad, and exported back to the Omni Sync WebDAV server. Upload times were horribly slow (10 megs took 20 minutes to upload), but then again, the server obviously isn't meant for anything else than syncing OmniFocus tasks (http://shawnblanc.net/2011/01/ars-case-interview/).

Quote:
Okay, it's not the case. Feeling better now? :-)
well, not really, but thanks anyway for trying to cheer me up :-)
The fact is, there is no viable outliner alternative on the iPad for now. I have Carbonfin, but it does not even come close to OO. Apart from the fact that their only common language is OPML, which could be acceptable of course, what really irks me is that you can import files in Carbonfin only uploading them on their website, creating an account on which you really have no control (and, I suppose, not even SSL access). I need to be able to either upload the files through iTunes (which Carbonfin does not support) or using webdav or a similar service. Add to that that Carbonfin, as far as I know, does not support any formatting, and you can understand why I'm sometimes even thinking about getting a MacBook Air just to use OO.
That said, since there is nothing else to do, I'll wait I guess... :-)

I'm a heavy user of OO and of Evernote, so I would love to see a sync option for that; as well as above mentioned Dropbox, iWork, iDisk etc.
I'm using Egretlist app on the iPhone, which syncs nicely with Evernote, but I so miss my excellent OO options... Would there be any chance of Omni apps partnering with Evernote in the future regarding sync?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radzster View Post
Would there be any chance of Omni apps partnering with Evernote in the future regarding sync?
They probably wouldn't say there's no chance, but when asked about things like Dropbox sync support (which would have applicability to multiple Omni apps), they've expressed a preference for using open standards such as WebDAV rather than building to one company's offerings. But as always, if there's something you want them to build, change, or fix, use Help->Send Feedback or Contact Omni to send in some email so the request gets into the development database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo Suominen View Post
Upload times were horribly slow (10 megs took 20 minutes to upload), but then again, the server obviously isn't meant for anything else than syncing OmniFocus tasks (http://shawnblanc.net/2011/01/ars-case-interview/).
I'm not sure it is that obvious! But thanks for the link to the interview, which I hadn't seen. It's amusing to read the Ars Technica article, follow the link to last year's interview, and read all the comments.

I think there are some inefficiencies in the WebDAV support on the Omni iOS apps, but haven't had time to investigate more closely. If my hunch is correct, it is almost doubling the time required to send a file there!

Part of your problem is likely to be your location; there's only one server, not a world-wide network of them only a few hops away (my time to Omni's server is about 29 ms vs. 230 ms to wsoy.fi, for example). I'm able to send files to the server from my Mac at my (upload) line rate, about half a megabit per second, which works out to roughly 2 1/2 minutes to write a 10 megabyte file. With the generally excellent Scandinavian broadband, you might be better off finding a WebDAV provider more local to you. Transferring the same file to my Mac over my network, I see data rates up to 1.2 megabytes/second on the inbound interface.

Quote:
With the generally excellent Scandinavian broadband, you might be better off finding a WebDAV provider more local to you.
I'd suggest a free account on mydrive.ch. I think you get 2GB free, WebDAV standard.

It almost pains me to say this because I also believe that an open service system (WebDAV) is preferable to one company's offerings...yet...

I've used dozens of 'cloud' based storage systems and nothing touches DropBox for service, support, and speed. I don't pay a thing for any of them (except my brief time using iDisk to test it out) so perhaps that is why service has periodically sucked with every WebDAV provider I have tried. DropBox has remained consistently fast and available despite never needing to go beyond the free 2gig limit.

That is probably why I see people screaming for DB support on nearly every iOS forum I visit. People thank the stars when it is there and simply use other apps when it is not.

I was honestly a late convert to DB but now that I'm on board I find it absolutely necessary. WebDAV is clunky requiring too much middleware and messy setup. DropBox just works. I'm a big fan of 'just works' these days.

Damn, now I sound like an advert >_<