The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

really need a Gantt report Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quite a while ago I sent in a long list of suggestions to the Omni support people for new development. One of them was for a Gantt report. I really really need this. I am not willing to OmniPlan the things I need to do and then send actions to OmniFocus, I'm using this program for my life, not my job, even if both overlap. I know a lot of people when they start getting productive go on a productivity tool binge, I'm past that. I have my Review routines and my perspectives, my start dates, etc. I don't want to do more massaging of my to do data than I already do. I just want a Gantt report so I can see how things were in the past, how they are today, and how they are coming up in the future, based on what I have already put in. This report would be so helpful because it would help me work around the tasks I have no control over with the tasks that I do. I have no need of tweaking a Gantt or dragging its bars around, I would just do what I need to do within my projects and then regenerate it. Can you please do this.

Do all of your tasks have time estimates? How does OmniFocus know what order you'll work your projects? Based on my experience with OmniPlan, it seems like most of the time I haven't entered enough data in OmniFocus to come up with a useful Gantt chart...maybe you could give us an example of what you expect?

They don't have time estimates - estimating time is a waste of my time. They have start and due dates, and some of the sub tasks have their own start and due dates.

So I want a Gantt section showing project 1, task 1, task 2.... and then below that (just as you see projects in the big list now) Project 2, task 1, task 2… and you can scroll right to left to see the time line in weeks and months. And up and down to see your projects, in the order they appear in your Sidebar, regardless of Active or not.

For most people, start date is the date/time at which you can start working on something, not necessarily the time you do start working on it. If I have a project to write a report involving three tasks, all of which I can't start until Monday, and the whole thing is due Friday at 5pm, how can you possibly draw a useful Gantt chart without more information, except one that just shows the week blocked out because I might be working on the report?

It sounds like you might want something like Skoach.