The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keyboard shortcuts for OmniFocus 1 (or 2)? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello. I'm currently testing out OmniFocus at the moment and am looking forward to trying out OmniFocus 2 when it comes out.

One thing I've always been wondering about is whether there are any keyboard shortcuts to quickly complete and create tasks. (Similar to RememberTheMilk / Gmail's task/email navigation system) I've found a list of shortcuts online (can't post a URL at the moment) for OmniFocus online but the shortcuts are used only to create tasks, as opposed to managing them (moving the 'focus' / cursor on a specific task, completing them, ...).

Is OmniFocus more mouse-oriented as opposed to having options to create and operate the app completely using the keyboard?

I was wondering whether anyone could answer my question.

Thanks in advance.

Fidic

If you have a task selected, pressing the space bar will mark it completed. Pressing ESC will toggle between editing a task and having the entire thing selected. Arrow keys will move you up and down in the usual fashion, with up and down arrow moving one action and command-up and down arrow moving you to the top or bottom of the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you have a task selected, pressing the space bar will mark it completed. Pressing ESC will toggle between editing a task and having the entire thing selected. Arrow keys will move you up and down in the usual fashion, with up and down arrow moving one action and command-up and down arrow moving you to the top or bottom of the window.
Brilliant. Thanks for the response.

Are there any shortcuts to quickly change any details of the task after selecting it? (Due date, ...)

Also, one thing I've never understood - when you complete a task, when does it disappear? Also, is there an archive that the tasks go to after you complete it?

Thanks in advance.

You can have a completed task disappear right away if you set that in the Preferences. If you don't set that, completed tasks will disappear when you change views (e.g., switch to another perspective), or when you click "Clean up."

Completed tasks are kept with the project and context they belong to, just not visible depending on your view settings. There's also a dedicated Perspective "Completed" to view all completed tasks over projects and contexts in the same window.

talking about keyboard shortcuts, i've always wondered why in an application named omniFOCUS the shortcut for focus isn't simply cmd-F
(which is used for, you guessed it, searching)

moreover, afaik it's not even possible to manually set it that way on System Preferences, cause the menu doesn't say 'Focus', but it's 'Focus on [selected item]' (which is obviously always different) and you're only able to assign shortcuts to menu items

Command-F is pretty universally used in OS X apps for searching. There are rare occasions where you want to use one of those system-wide shortcuts for something specific to your app, but you need to be very careful.

People would get irritated when their muscle memory built up by using all those other apps suddenly did something other than what they expected in OmniFocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
People would get irritated when their muscle memory built up by using all those other apps suddenly did something other than what they expected in OmniFocus.
sure thing, but what about that menu 'issue' i pointed out?
i mean, wouldn't it be possible to just have a straight 'Focus' menu item?
that way it would be possible to set cmd-F as Focus on the System Preferences
just saying… ;)

There is a Focus menu item in the View menu, and it is bound to control-command-F. The obstacle encountered if you want to bind it to a different keyboard shortcut is that the name of the menu item constantly changes to reflect the project(s) you have selected in the sidebar, rendering the System Preferences approach helpless.

I am unconvinced that anyone looks at the list of projects to be focused upon in the menu, especially given that after only a few project names are selected, OmniFocus (or the menu code) snips out the middle of the text. Changing it so that the menu item was a constant "Focus on Selected Projects" (as it reads when nothing is selected in the sidebar) would not appear to do any substantial harm, and would make it possible to rebind the shortcut.

Brilliant. Thanks for all the replies.

Is it possible to control OmniFocus 1 using only the keyboard? Coming from a productivity web app (RememberTheMilk - albeit it only features lists) which has Gmail-esque keyboard shortcuts, being able to control the productivity application exclusively using the keyboard is quite important to me.

Thanks in advance.

No, it isn't possible to do every function in OmniFocus via the keyboard, just most of them. The one that comes to mind is jumping from the main window to the Inspector and back. You can summon or dismiss the Inspector from the keyboard, but you can't get over there and back. I would like that very much, as I usually have the Inspector over at the right edge of the screen, and most of the stuff I click on is at the other side of the screen, making for a long trip even with mouse acceleration.

I find OmniFocus to be sluggish enough with my data that the disruption caused by having to move my hand a few inches to tap the trackpad isn't a problem. The time needed to actually complete tasks is much greater than the time taken to process them even if I have to remove my hands from the keyboard, drop to the floor and do 10 pushups. If the task takes an hour, does it really matter whether checking it complete takes 1 second, or 3? :-)