The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

64-bit test builds of OmniWeb now available Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ken,

Six words:

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Craig

Wow! So if I understand correctly, this version of OmniWeb will stay locked to the underlying version of Webkit baked into the OS?

Does this buy us other features, like hardware accelerated scrolling, which Safari is able to take advantage of?

And are extensions a Safari thing, or a webkit thing? 1Password coming back to the OmniWeb party would be quite something!

-Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Wow! So if I understand correctly, this version of OmniWeb will stay locked to the underlying version of Webkit baked into the OS?
Yes.

Quote:
Does this buy us other features, like hardware accelerated scrolling, which Safari is able to take advantage of?
I haven't looked into this yet, but it seems likely. (I doubt it came for free, but maybe we would get this by switching to layer-backed views. Not sure, though—again, I haven't really looked into this yet.)

Quote:
And are extensions a Safari thing, or a webkit thing? 1Password coming back to the OmniWeb party would be quite something!
Extensions are a Safari thing—but now that OmniWeb is 64-bit it's a lot more likely that support could be added for those. Or at least enough support to let OmniWeb integrate with 1Password.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Zappe View Post
One hint for those who are also going to install the new version: The individual Workspaces, Bookmarks etc. are all preserved and used in the new version, but the Preferences are not! So don’t delete your old version just yet. You can launch it along the new version of OmniWeb without problems, and then can compare and adjust the new OmniWeb’s Preferences to those you used in your old version.
I found that this is specifically true for History data. If you set your OmniWeb 5 Preferences to save more than the default of 30 days of history, and then launch OmniWeb 6 for the first time, it will use the default of 30 days and immediately delete the rest of your History.

So in this case, it’s best to immediately change the History period to the desired value in OmniWeb 6, quit OmniWeb 6 and then restore the old (pre-OmniWeb 6) History.plist file from a (Time Machine or other) backup. The next time OmniWeb 6 is launched, it will behave as it should.

Brilliant!! Absolutely brilliant!
The app is tremendously more responsive than the previous version was for me. It truly works like a charm.

On a side note, I took a look at the “localizationability” and the .nib are compiled so I won’t be able to update anything just yet (though you just mentioned that the UI hasn't changed much yet so I guess that can wait until the resources are in a more permanent state).

Now… if only I could use 1Password in OmniWeb too………… ;-)

Corentin

Thanks Ken! Version 6 has found a place on my dock!

Trackpad gestures?

Ken, thank you very much for this!

OmniWeb is still my primary browser, using it for >99% of browsing.
I'll have to wait for 10.9 to test OmniWeb 6 (skipping 10.8). So now i can't wait for 10.9 to be ready ;-)

God. I think I'm an OmniWebophile. Really enjoying these v6 updates. The only thing I observed of any use is the three panels on the OmniWeb splash page were a bit tardy in loading (Overview, Features, Support). Otherwise, no issues whatever. May have been SIMBL related:

Code:
13/08/13 10:19:10.234 PM iTunes[3534]: _NotificationSocketReadCallbackGCD (thread 0x7fff7273f180): Unexpected connection closure...
13/08/13 10:19:10.235 PM ath[3540]: _NotificationSocketReadCallbackGCD (thread 0x7fff7273f180): Unexpected connection closure...
13/08/13 10:19:10.861 PM CalendarAgent[223]: [com.apple.calendar.store.log.caldav.queue] [Account refresh failed with error: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 "Could not connect to the server." UserInfo=0x7f88d0dc88e0 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7f88d2c00590 "Could not connect to the server.", NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://name%40gmail.com@calendar.google.com/calendar/dav/name%40gmail.com/user/, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://name%40gmail.com@calendar.google.com/calendar/dav/name%40gmail.com/user/, AccountName=Gmail, CalDAVErrFromRefresh=YES, NSLocalizedDescription=Could not connect to the server.}]
13/08/13 10:19:30.279 PM mdworker[4550]: Error loading /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter:  dlopen(/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter, 262): Library not loaded: @rpath/OmniFoundation.framework/Versions/A/OmniFoundation
  Referenced from: /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter
  Reason: image not found
13/08/13 10:19:30.279 PM mdworker[4550]: Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory E20C1FBC-CAD2-4486-89E2-8A9C96D36F3B in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fd3d3a08a80 </Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)
13/08/13 10:19:30.279 PM mdworker[4550]: (Error) Import: Could not create instance for plugIn 'file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/'
13/08/13 10:19:30.279 PM mdworker[4550]: (Error) Import: BAD IMPORTER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/
13/08/13 10:20:33.036 PM mdworker[4552]: Error loading /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter:  dlopen(/Users/WriterAir/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter, 262): Library not loaded: @rpath/OmniFoundation.framework/Versions/A/OmniFoundation
  Referenced from: /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter
13/08/13 10:20:33.036 PM mdworker[4552]: Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory E20C1FBC-CAD2-4486-89E2-8A9C96D36F3B in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7ff82a808650 </Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)
13/08/13 10:20:33.036 PM mdworker[4552]: (Error) Import: Could not create instance for plugIn 'file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/'
13/08/13 10:20:33.036 PM mdworker[4552]: (Error) Import: BAD IMPORTER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/
13/08/13 10:23:51.913 PM mdworker[4557]: Error loading /Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter:  dlopen(/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/OmniWebMetadataImporter, 262): Library not loaded: @rpath/OmniFoundation.framework/Versions/A/OmniFoundation
13/08/13 10:23:51.914 PM mdworker[4557]: Cannot find function pointer MetadataImporterPluginFactory for factory E20C1FBC-CAD2-4486-89E2-8A9C96D36F3B in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fe063d100b0 </Users/WriterAir/.Trash/OmniWeb 6.0 private test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter> (bundle, not loaded)
13/08/13 10:23:51.914 PM mdworker[4557]: (Error) Import: Could not create instance for plugIn 'file://localhost/Users/Air/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/'
13/08/13 10:23:51.914 PM mdworker[4557]: (Error) Import: BAD IMPORTER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ file://localhost/Users/WriterAir/.Trash/OmniWeb%206.0%20private%20test.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OmniWebMetadataImporter.mdimporter/
Hope this Console report is of some use.

Last edited by derekr; 2013-08-13 at 08:42 AM..

That's absolutely phantastic news! Thank you so much!

Just one question: how do I get opening tabs by middle click to work? I'm using a tool 'MiddleClick' that simulates the middle button when tapping with three fingers. It works fine with other browser (e.g. chrome), but no longer in OW.

This is fantastic Ken, thanks so much for still updating. :)

With a web dev background, I still hop around between browsers, but invariably come back to OW, even though it was falling behind WK.

Thanks again for 64bit, and updated WK…*but to be a discenting voice, please don't take away my tab drawer! ;)

If the voices calling for sidebar are load enough, given OW is pretty niche, could that change be a user preference? I understand switching to a sidebar may require a lot of change, perhaps complicating keeping both options.

IMHO the Drawer works very well on large, and multiple screens; I can quickly swap the side as appropriate for each screen.