The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

'Under Construction?' Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Auto-updates would be cool, but there would have to be some way to make people read the release notes before it updates (or at least make the user scroll past them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Auto-updates would be cool, but there would have to be some way to make people read the release notes before it updates (or at least make the user scroll past them.)
Not to mention make a backup of all their settings before running it for the first time - you do all do that, don't you?

;)

I don't know how often they intend on updating OW after the sp phase (and a more open beta phase?), but this (admittedly rather cool) feature seems most useful for apps that are updated very frequently. If they'd keep up with biweekly or monthly updates, I suppose it'd be nice then, otherwise probably not worth the effort on their part.

Now, an auto-backup feature would be very nice, particularly for the workspaces (I hate it when I lose my tabs), but on a daily (or so) basis, not just on updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Not to mention make a backup of all their settings before running it for the first time - you do all do that, don't you?

;)
I do it if I've made major changes to my workspaces.

The quickest way to make a backup of them is to select the OW application support folder, right-click and choose "create archive."

I must agree with the auto-backup of some items. I know that even with Version 5.1.3 (563.66), I would get the occasional crash (for which I do dutifully send in the CrashCatcher reports).

When a crash occurs, it would definitely be extremely useful if the state at the time of the crash were saved in some way (or at least more obvious in the history, etc. in case I opened and minimized a window long before the crash that is no longer among the most recent in the history list).

That (and another bone-headed post on my part which was already covered by the release notes) aside:

I also look forward to the zoomed-editing rewrite

I really like the construction bars on the title bars!

It still feels generally solid, just a short time using it and I felt comfortable quitting 5.1.3 and moving to SP7 for primary usage.

Thank you, OmniGroup!

OK, this is a minor thing, but I have to respond-to/correct my own post...particularly since I'm not seeing it in the release notes:

I still have yet to have a crash since starting to use the sneekypeeks, but, I have had a general system hang and a manual reboot and I think it is decidedly spiffy that I no longer have to either finish reading all of my pending open OmniWeb windows or manually save them as bookmarks for returning to later as OmniWeb will re-load new pages on startup to any sites that were open on shutdown, even in the case of the complete system hang and power cycle.

[And thank you for defaulting internal PDF display back to off in sp10.]