The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

What's Your Calendar System Like? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I;m very curious how others utilize their calendar(s), hoping I'll learn some valuable tips in regards to my calendar.

I've always had only one calendar, called my calendar that syncs up from my iCal on my Macbook, to my Google Calendar (from any computer) and the calendar app on my iPod Touch. Therefore this 1 calendar is always in sync and visible to me.

However I recently experimented and felt like adding more calendars to my system. I added calendars with a different color assigned to each. So rather than one calendar that had everything I now had about 10 calendars (each w/ a different color) that consisted of a particular area, such as school or work respectively.

The reason I didn't stick with this numerous calendar system was cause it wouldn't sync properly to my iPod Touch, though it did sync well between my iCal and Gcal. iPod Touch being the device I use most to look at my OF actions and Calendar items.

What about tu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
The reason I didn't stick with this numerous calendar system was cause it wouldn't sync properly to my iPod Touch, though it did sync well between my iCal and Gcal. iPod Touch being the device I use most to look at my OF actions and Calendar items.
What didn't sync properly? Are you syncing through MobileMe or iTunes to the iPod Touch? I've got about 50 calendars on my iPod Touch and the syncing is satisfactory through MobileMe between the iPod and a handful of computers. I've had some problems, but they weren't related to the iPod as far as I could tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What didn't sync properly? Are you syncing through MobileMe or iTunes to the iPod Touch? I've got about 50 calendars on my iPod Touch and the syncing is satisfactory through MobileMe between the iPod and a handful of computers. I've had some problems, but they weren't related to the iPod as far as I could tell.
I wasn't able to have more than one calendar to sync and show up on my iPod Touch. This was using the route of attempting to sync via CalDAV from my iCal to Gcal online and my iPod Touch is set up to sync to my Gcal...however no more than my original calendar syncs up. I then tried to sync connecting my ipod to my mac but what happened here was everything on my original 1 calendar displayed doubled on the cal app on my ipod touch...so, "lunch with Edgar @ 2pm" was displayed twice. That and I hear if I sync connecting my ipod to my mac I can't edit or add events to the calendars on my ipod touch.

Quote:
I wasn't able to have more than one calendar to sync and show up on my iPod Touch. This was using the route of attempting to sync via CalDAV from my iCal to Gcal online and my iPod Touch is set up to sync to my Gcal...however no more than my original calendar syncs up. I then tried to sync connecting my ipod to my mac but what happened here was everything on my original 1 calendar displayed doubled on the cal app on my ipod touch...so, "lunch with Edgar @ 2pm" was displayed twice. That and I hear if I sync connecting my ipod to my mac I can't edit or add events to the calendars on my ipod touch.
Also, you have over 50 calendar?! Each pertaining of a different subject or area of focus???

As a sidenote here I found the solution to my iPod syncing woes. Apparently visiting m.google.com/sync you can designate all the Gcal calendars you have you wish to appear on your iPhone or iPod Touch Calendar app.

Quote:
Also, you have over 50 calendar?! Each pertaining of a different subject or area of focus???
I was surprised that didn't provoke a comment earlier -- the MobileMe support guy thought it might be a record :-)

Probably half of them are leftover from when I was experimenting with iCal sync from OmniFocus. The rest are broken down by activity or person (each of the 3 of us has at least one personal calendar which I maintain). If I want to see my volunteer obligations at my son's school without seeing my sweetie's commitments there, I can, and those are separate from school events. I have some programs that build calendars to remind me of things (Library Books and Delicious Library, for example) which typically get their own calendars.

I'm paying for MobileMe, I might as well get my money's worth, right? :-)