The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Potential customer newbie questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been looking for a Visio like app for the iPad and from what I see Omnigraffle may be a good fit.

My goal is to create IT infrastructure diagrams. I am looking for an app that will allow me to freehand draw objects and then be able to copy them and connect them with connectors. I would also like to be able to draw connectors between objects and for the app to be smart enough to anchor to the object. Visio drives me crazy with it’s limited amount of anchors per objects.

So here is a list of questions about the app:
  • Can I freehand draw objects that will be able to be use connectors?
  • Can I copy freehand objects?
  • Are there any free server/network stencils that work with the iPad version?
  • Can Windows based Visio stencils be converted to Omnigraffle for iPad?
  • Can I use an image as an object?
  • Can I freehand draw the connections between objects and have the app auto smooth my connectors?
  • Will the app auto dock my connectors based on the proximity of where I terminate them or will it always hard dock to a specific location?
  • Can objects hide their underlying links to other objects? So if I have Object A, B, C, and B and C are “under” A, could I click on A to focus at that level and not have B and C visible? I watched the video and it seemed like this was possible.
  • Can I group objects into a single object?
  • Is the app compatible with the iPad VGA output connector?
  • How large is the canvas?
  • Can I easily zoom in and out with the pinch gesture?

Does anyone have some server/network diagrams created with Omnigraffle for iPad that they can share?

Also, is there still a money back guarantee on this product?

Thanks,
-Matt

Heh, I came here to look for something else, but I'll try to answer these as good as I can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGG View Post
Can I freehand draw objects that will be able to be use connectors?
Yes.

Quote:
Can I copy freehand objects?
Yes, just like other objects.

One of the last updates also introduced the capability to create stencils directly on the iPad by making a stencil sheet instead of a diagram. So you don't have to copy them every time, you can make a stencil sheet with your symbols/shapes instead.

Quote:
Are there any free server/network stencils that work with the iPad version?
Yes, you can search graffletopia from within the app and download the results. I searched for "server" and "network" and that gave me a good number of stencils suitable for this type of diagram, for example this set of formal symbols: http://graffletopia.com/stencils/22

Quote:
Can Windows based Visio stencils be converted to Omnigraffle for iPad?
As far as I know (and my knowledge of this may be outdated because I don't use Visio anymore), the Mac version of OmniGraffle can import *some* stencils, and can read the Visio XML file format with *some* reliability (so you could put your Visio stencils in a diagram and import that).

Basically, I wouldn't bet on being able to import your existing stencils from Visio. (Not sure that's a big problem?)

Quote:
Can I use an image as an object?
Yes. You can either import images from your iPad's photo album directly and use them as rectangular objects, or you can use an image to fill a shape with (e.g. a freehand shape).

Quote:
Can I freehand draw the connections between objects and have the app auto smooth my connectors?
Not exactly. The default is a straight connection between two objects. You can then add midpoints by double-tapping the line, which will add some fixed points on the canvas the connection goes through. You can then set the line style to curved to get a smooth curve (or to that other type that renders connectors as horizontal plus vertical lines). I believe the result will be the same.

Quote:
Will the app auto dock my connectors based on the proximity of where I terminate them or will it always hard dock to a specific location?
As far as I know, the iPad version doesn't let you create magnets yet, so for shapes that you create on the iPad, connections will always be to the object in general, and terminate at its outline at the closest point. (And that closest point will move when you move your object.)

You can fake magnets though by adding little invisible boxes to your object, and grouping them together. Connectors will terminate at the closest object that is part of a group when you try to connect a group (unlike real magnets, it won't switch to the closest one when you move objects around, though; you'll have to do that yourself). This also works with stencils you create on the iPad, so you can e.g. create a network bus stencil with several different end points for connectors.

Quote:
Can objects hide their underlying links to other objects? So if I have Object A, B, C, and B and C are “under” A, could I click on A to focus at that level and not have B and C visible? I watched the video and it seemed like this was possible.
I don't think I understand what you want to do, but extrapolating from your video reference, I hope this comes close to an answer: Diagrams can have multiple layers of objects, you can at any time move objects between layers, and hide individual layers. So if B and C are on layer 1 and A is on layer 2, and you hide layer 1, you'll only see A.

Quote:
Can I group objects into a single object?
Yes. Note that you will still be able to attach connectors to individual parts of the group, and you can still change the text of any shape that is part of the group if you can aim your double tapping well enough. I haven't seen a way to turn that off yet in case it bothers you.

Quote:
Is the app compatible with the iPad VGA output connector?
Support for it has been added in an update some time ago, but I don't have the adapter, so I can't tell you what exactly it'll show on the VGA display.

Quote:
How large is the canvas?
As large as you make it. You can either set the size directly, or set it to auto-expand to the right and downward as you move objects close to these borders. (Note: Don't try that on the left or top borders, it may be hard to get your objects back ;-))

Quote:
Can I easily zoom in and out with the pinch gesture?
Yes. Pinch seems to always zoom the canvas. (The rotate gesture, on the other hand, rotates objects.)

You have to be fairly exact if you want to preserve a selection. If the touches that make up the pinch gesture start too far apart from each other, you'll probably select some random object in the process of zooming.

Quote:
Does anyone have some server/network diagrams created with Omnigraffle for iPad that they can share?
I don't have any.

Quote:
Also, is there still a money back guarantee on this product?
The app store page says so, but it might be hard to find someone here who can confirm that they do indeed refund purchases :D

One last comment; this is not an app you'll have mastered in five minutes. You'll certainly be able to make great diagrams in five minutes, but it may take a bit longer to find every last feature.

Last edited by dannythefool; 2010-12-28 at 10:11 AM..