The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOLVED: Mysteriously growing OmniFocus.ofocus file Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It appears that OF desktop currently creates a new .client file each time you sync. After a while, the old ones are automatically deleted.

The iPhone should have only 1 .client file. If you have more than one iPhone .client file, then you could follow the instructions in the "Lizard Fix".

However, the Omni guys have indicated that a future version of OF iPhone will behave just like the desktop app - creating more than 1 .client file.

I think the real key is the total size of your database file. If it is continuing to grow or if it is in the MB size range, then you probably have a problem. For instance, I have in the neighborhood of 600-700 actions in OF and my file hovers around 172K. My wife has a similar number of actions and her file hovers around 191K. At times, both of these files are actually quite a bit smaller (like 40-60K).

Yes, with the current code on the desktop (and due on the iphone in 1.0.2), multiple client files can exist for a single client. This is in order to help us avoid thinking that the database has been reset when in actuality the issue is that another client is in the middle of updating the sync database.

These extra client files are removed in subsequent syncs (from the same client) if they are too old (I think they get removed if they are over an hour old, but that timeframe is subject to change).

As an aside, if your files are getting really large, there are a couple of things I can think of offhand to check. First, make sure that you don't have clients that are too far behind on syncing. We have to leave transaction info around for the least-recent client, so that it has all the information it needs to merge changes. If this is the issue, getting all of your clients in sync will result in all the old transaction files getting cleaned up. (Unless there is data corruption, in which case your best solution is probably to get a known-good desktop client, do a database backup via File -> Back Up Database, then restore from that database via File -> Revert to Database Backup, then sync and push your local database to the server, then have any other clients sync and reset to use the server data.)

Second, be aware of what kind of data you are putting into your database. If you are making voice notes, for instance, those are going to take up a good bit of space, especially if you are still using 1.0 on the phone as we weren't compressing the data as intended at that point. Also, while when you drag in files we default to making a link, you can defeat that by option-dragging, which will embed the file, likely bloating your database. One customer also reported that they were dragging in files which were getting embedded, but it turned out that they were dragging the files in from another application which wasn't providing us the (normal filesystem) link information, they were providing the entire file on the pasteboard, so it was all getting embedded.