The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

trouble installing scripts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm sure this one has come up, but my searching did not find it specifically. I've come across several nice pages lately that cover a lot of neat customization to OF with scripts, but I'm having trouble finding where things should go.

For example, the directions for installing these are to place them inside the specific app folder that sits in this directory: ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus.

I noticed that my user library does have the scripts folder but it does not have an applications folder inside it. I also noticed that my user library has a different folder in it called Application Scripts that seems to hold some scripts for Apple Mail that are working. I'm running 10.8.2 on a MacPro with an SSD as my boot drive and my userfolder lives on my original internal hard drive, so I'm wondering if this is part of the problem.

I'm lost on what to do next. Do I simply create an Applications and OmniFocus folders and then somehow make sure OmniFocus knows where to find it? Or, should I be working with the Application Scripts folder that sits above the Scripts folder in my directory?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mark

Did you read RobTrew's excellent FAQ on installing and using scripts with OmniFocus in the OmniFocus Extras forum? There is a procedure given which will create the proper directory structure, if followed precisely. It boils down to turning on the AppleScript menu, switching to OmniFocus, then using the AppleScript menu to open the application script folder, which will create it if necessary. Placing your scripts in that folder is the best practice, and OmniFocus will allow you to add toolbar buttons to invoke scripts found there.

The only tricky bit about the procedure is that it works for any application, so if you accidentally switch to your web browser or the Finder by clicking in the wrong spot on the screen, you won't get any sort of error, you'll just make the application script folder for the application you were in when you did the open script folder menu command instead of for OmniFocus.