The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Map Vertically Stacked Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am using the Konigi stencil (http://konigi.com/tools/omnigraffle-ux-template) for laying out a sitemap (excellent template and stencil btw)

BUT this quickly becomes very unwieldy when you have a large sitemap.
Is there a stencil/technique out there that will allow me to have top level options (Home / Tier 1) to be horizontally arranged and then below that arrange everything in columns (vertically stacked)?

This would mean I can get everything nice and beautifully arranged on a single pdf canvas export.

Thanks.

It looks like the first page "Site Map" has exactly that. Of course it is much easier to use the Outline facility; then layout. If you do not like the Diagram Styles in Outline/View, you can use Canvas/Selection to select the boxes you want, and then change their Properties.

You do not need the Konigi template to produce simple to moderate site maps.

Cheers

I think the Konigi example 'looks' like it may have exactly that... however if you add an item via the Outline View to any of the 'levels' they always appear on the canvas horizontally parallel to others of the same 'level'. If I understand correctly, the original poster wants to have, say, all level 1 items display horizontally parallel, along with all level 2 items... but have all level 3 items display vertically.

I too am looking for this capability in the program for a sitemap I'm building and am surprised it isn't immediately obvious how to do this, or how to automate this in a Diagram Style. It seems to me that a common page structure for a site would benefit from a Diagram Style of this nature. For example.....

Home
....Projects
........Project 1
........Project 2
........Project 3
........Project 4
........Project 5
........Project 6
........Project 7
........Project 8
........Project 9
........Project 10

That third level has a lot of pages, too many for horizontal layout... I've been spending time just now trying to figure out how to customize a Diagram Style to have that third level automatically display items vertically with no luck. The crapper is that when I align/space etc. manually... and then go add another item via the Outline.. it automatically rearranges everything back to the original Diagram Style! Gah! I could uncheck "Automatically Layout" but that's one of the best parts of Graffle imho.

I know this app has been out for a long time so I'm really hoping I'm just using it INcorrectly... or it can do what we're looking for and we just haven't discovered how yet. =]

Any help appreciated.

(I am an IT architect)

Look, I answered the OP, but evidently he never came back to continue the thread. You've given me more info re your needs.

1 Personally, I would not draw a website map using that technique, or the Konigi template, there is far too much information on one "page" which cannot be maintained reasonably. Getting everything on a single canvas is not desirable to me at all; getting everything into a single exported PDF, with each canvas on a separate page, is much easier to read/understand as well as to draw. I would first draw it using Garrett IA or some other technique which lays out the website structurally. Then I would use OG or whatever to fill the pages; and even then I would have multiple pages, each containing 1 Project.

1.1 After the website is implemented, then it is easy to populate a tree structure and produce "final documentation" using OG. You can even use the actual webpages.

(staying with the single canvas, OG and Konigi ...)

2 Deselect Auto Layout. Great feature, but not for this particular use.

3 Use the Inspector/Align&Space tool, rather than doing so manually.

Cheers

Thanks for the response. I am not an IT architect and appreciate your advice a lot.

Paul

I figured out a way to do this in OG. It looks like this is what you are looking for.

I have attached the settings I used as screenshots. Let me know if this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	2167
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	3453
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	2421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	2467
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	2422  

Thanks morgmj, that worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidil View Post
Thanks morgmj, that worked!
No problem, glad I could help!

Note: this only works for navigation that is 1 level deep. I have found a solution for navigation that is deeper although it requires some manual work. I will post this shortly.

Here is my updated solution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-24 at 10.34.01 AM.png
Views:	2072
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2651