The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

basic style question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm sure this must come up a lot due to the complicated nature of style in OO (hierarchical vs. specific instance, e.g.) but I cannot figure out the answer from the manual.

I understand now how to change the font etc. for the basic template so that my new documents will begin as I wish them to be.

But I have some existing docs that I have tried to change and it does not seem to be 'intuitive'. If I change "Whole document" in the Utility drawer, from the default Andale Mono to say Hoefler Text, and the Appearance Inspector shows Hoefler Text for Whole Document, why then are new rows created in the document still appearing in Andale Mono?

OO Pro 3.7.2, OS 10.5.5.

In OmniOutliner, more specific styles override more general ones. If you set the "All first level rows" style, for example, it'll override the "Whole Document" one. Ditto if you select a specific row and apply a style to it.

If you open up the styles view (under the view menu) you can see what things have styles applied to them by looking at which style chits are empty and which aren't. That'll help you figure out what's going on here.

Thanks, Brian, this was helpful.

I went through deleting chits one at a time to eliminate this style that had been, somehow, applied to one row, superseding the Whole Doc style I had set.

Trying to delete the row style as a whole did not seem to work.

I suspect that an option to make universal styles changes - overriding the more "specific" ones, with a warning message that you're about to lose any custom formatting to individual rows - would be a well-used feature.

Further perusing of the forums (concerning style effects of pasting in text, about which I started a new thread) brought me enlightenment on this question,

A long thread from 2006 on handling styles in OO is at http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=480

I have not read all of the 4 pages of this thread yet but I have found at least one good tip,
from bashosfrog,

Quote:
I pretty much ignore Styles view for mass changes and just use the Utilities panel. ie. Select "All Level 2 Rows" in the lower window (OO clicks into Styles View), then make changes in Inspector = all Level 2 rows changed as expected.

I don't really "get" Styles View either. Not for everyday use. But I haven't needed to use it in order to set up OO documents of stunning style :-)
I think this answers my question. I post it here for others in the future who may be confused as I was.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-01-21 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: made link clickable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcities View Post
Is there a way to do this?
You can select levels that already exist in the sidebar to set their styles, so in that sense, the answer is to multiply-select the ones you care about. That only works for levels that already exist, though.

Another way to accomplish this would be to set the "Whole Document" style to the one you'd like to use on levels 3 and greater, and then set specific style overrides for levels 1 and 2.