The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problem with qtl files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
On a web site I am developing, I am using a qtl file to launch a mov file.

It works (that is, it launches QuickTime and starts the movie) on FF and Safari but when I click on the link using OW, nothing happens.

Since it works on two other browsers, I have to assume it is not the code on my site, but something about OW. Any suggestions?

Thanks

P

(resolved - see later in thread - I cannot seem to add (resolved) to title of this post.)

Last edited by pheski; 2009-01-21 at 08:33 AM..

How about giving us an example, so we can try it?

Wow this group is quick - and good.

I got an almost instant reply that I should check OW -> Preferences -> Downloads -> Safe Applications list to be sure QuickTimePlayer was listed. It was not, so I added it. Works fine now.

That leaves me with the question of why QuickTimePlayer isn't part of the default approved applications.

Off topic: She also suggested that I should consider using a poster movie. Using a qtl link to launch the movie avoids downloading the whole movie to the viewer's computer(which is why I was using a qtl link), but does download the qtl file. This became pretty clear to me as I had acquired literally dozens of identical qtl files because I downloaded a new copy every time I tested. Using a poster movie to launch the movie in QuickTimePlayer apparently avoids this problem.

I also received a reply suggesting that there had been some security issues with qtl files - my googling suggests that these have been resolved with QT updates, but I am not sure.

P

(I cannot seem to edit the title of my original post, as I do on some other Forums when an issue is resolved - adding (resolved) is what I attempted.)

Last edited by pheski; 2009-01-21 at 08:32 AM..

Because QuickTime is very much not a safe application (and that even assumes that there is such a thing anyway) - have you seen the number of serious security issues its suffered from over the past few years? Somewhere in the range of 'lots' and 'even more'.