The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Kinkless and OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi forum

On friday I get OF beta. Thats fine ;.)

BUT ;-(

I dont understand, maybe it's my mistake ?

I thought that OF has the same structur like kinkless.

In kinkless I use actions with 5 colums in my datasheet.

1) Work ( different type of projects)
2) Worker (which worker must do the work )
3) Typ of Work (report, drawing, letter, evaluation ...)
4) Start date
5) Due date

I thougt in OF I can create the same structur and I thougt if the work is done I have a good archive from the past.

But I found nothing.

I have import the relevant kinkless file and not all single tasks in OF existing.

Maybe I use OF wrong - I have it one day - I make a mistake or I don't understand the idea of OF.

Please can someone give me a feedback.

Thanks

Jochen (.de)

Think of OO as a generic tool, like a spreasheet. Kinkless just provided a template that set up an outline to be used for GTD. But with OO as the engine, you could make numerous custimizations.

OF on the other hand is not generic, it *is* a GTD app and the designers have defined the interface so that it supports much of the GTD philosophy.

What you seem to have done with kinkless is customize it to your particular needs, which may not be the GTD way. I suggest you play around with it a lot, but not use it yet as your "real" task manager; for that keep using kinkless. Hopefully, in time, you will develop a way to make OF work for you using its interface and features. When you get there, then you can make the switch.

I'm just about there myself. The one red flag that keeps appearing in the back of my mind is that OF is currently alpha software. I'm usually hesitant to use beta software for my critical jobs!

- Pierre

It kind of sounds like you were using Kinkless as a project or team management tool, which it really wasn't meant for. I only say this because you have a "worker" column indicating who is doing a particular task. Kinkless, by default, assumes that there is only one "worker" for all the tasks it manages -- you.

Kinkless was meant to be a personal action list manager for GTD users. Kinkless was flexible enough that it allowed you to use it for more (since you could add as many columns as you wanted), but OmniFocus is much more focused than Kinkless -- OF really is just a personal GTD app. Maybe OmniPlan is more what you're looking for?