The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Reordering Actions In Context View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It IS the one feature preventing so many from getting things done with Omnifocus.

Reordering tasks would be an immense help, at least in flagged perspective. Maybe it's not that gtd like in context mode. But at least flagged actions should be reorderable.

So you could see at a glance whats important for the Day/Week!

cause'
Everyone's talking about that important stuff.
- David Allen: essential tasks
- Brian Tracy: eating Frogs
- Stephen Covey: Big Rocks

So... don't sweat the small stuff and make tasks reorderable in contxt mode

I'm relatively new to OmniFocus (and reading GTD right now) so I might be missing something, but for those cases (preparing bagages or equipment to go to a music rehearsal for example, or shopping lists) I simply use the project in which it is.

Also, I put this project on hold, I don't want the list of 200 possible items to show in my various perspective. I might have a task "prepare equipment" in special occasions, but usually, if you do that all the time, it's like "putting clothes on" in the morning, no need to be reminded.

I'm curious to know if I'm breaking some rules or doing something that will come back and bite me suddenly?

If this has already been fixed I can't find it. I need to be able to reorder within context view on one list - my Errands. I want to be able to drag them into place in the order I will follow around town. I realize that I can do this by placing a number prefix before the items on the Mac version, but this doesn't translate to the iphone app, which is what I have with me when I'm out and about.

I get around not manually sorting Context lists on the fly by 1. having a Project Perspective for a specific project I can only do at my desk--this would not help in the warehouse situation since this perspective is not available on the iPhone but one could set up a Project and just navigate to it when the time comes and 2. using a lot of subcategories--the iphone sometimes actually gets my location correct and puts the right place at the top of the list.

Errands
Stores
Hardware (with a location by search for "Hardware")
Grocery (with a location by search for "Grocery")
etc....
Town
myTown (with a location by Address and notification on arriving)
bigCity (with location by Address and notification on arriving)
etc...

You could set up each warehouse context with the GPS coordinates when in each building and if it's big enough you may be able to distinguish the different areas as well.

Warehouses
warehouse 1
East end
West end
etc...
warehouse 2
South side
North side
etc...
etc..

Remember you can find these context with abbreviations like "w1e" for quick entry so layers of subcategories are really not much of a problem.

I get around not manually sorting Context lists on the fly by 1. having a Project Perspective for a specific project I can only do at my desk--this would not help in the warehouse situation since this perspective is not available on the iPhone but one could set up a Project and just navigate to it when the time comes and 2. using a lot of subcategories--the iphone sometimes actually gets my location correct and puts the right place at the top of the list.

Errands
-Stores
--Hardware (with a location by search for "Hardware")
--Grocery (with a location by search for "Grocery")
--etc....
-Town
-- myTown (with a location by Address and notification on arriving)
--bigCity (with location by Address and notification on arriving)
--etc...

You could set up each warehouse context with the GPS coordinates when in each building and if it's big enough you may be able to distinguish the different areas as well.

Warehouses
-warehouse 1
--East end
--West end
--etc...
-warehouse 2
--South side
--North side
--etc...
-etc..

Remember you can find these context with abbreviations like "w1e" for quick entry so layers of subcategories are really not much of a problem.

Hi all -

Fyi, after struggling a while, I switched from OmniFocus to "Things" for one single reason: it's the only app I could find where you can manually re-order your list of items flagged "today", independently from the order they're in in the projects structure. I can't imagine how I could get through my day without that.

Apart from that, I like everything about OmniFocus better. I keep coming back here once in a while, hoping it's been added.

It's frustrating because even a lot of the UI seems to be there, in Contexts view you can drag items around and see the insertion line/arrow. But it just does nothing! Maybe someday...