The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2.0 Progress Report Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think that Tags and an updated user interface would would really put the hurt on Cultured Code's Things.

It makes business sense to me to add those features for that aspect alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
I very often need John to be a context, as well as WaitingFor (what are all the things that John owes me?)...
I just wanted to point out that OF supports nested contexts, and what you are asking for here can easily be accomplished by having a "parent" context called "Waiting For", with subcontexts for various people. If you want to see everything you are waiting for, you view the parent "Waiting For" context, and if you just want to see what John owes you, you select his sub context.

I use this method for my "Agendas" context, inside which I have several nested contexts for various people.

I have not yet used 2Do myself. But I am becoming tired of waiting for OF 2. The old interface looks dated, and that wording is chosen rather soft.

Any users that have tested 2Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalError View Post
I have not yet used 2Do myself. But I am becoming tired of waiting for OF 2. The old interface looks dated, and that wording is chosen rather soft.

Any users that have tested 2Do?
I believe that most, if not all of us are more than ready for OmniFocus 2.0 to appear. However, perhaps a discussion of 2Do belongs on 2Do's forum instead of Omni's board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I believe that most, if not all of us are more than ready for OmniFocus 2.0 to appear. However, perhaps a discussion of 2Do belongs on 2Do's forum instead of Omni's board?
OmniFocus is the big cheese when it comes to task planners for the Mac. It's much more expensive, it's much more established and apparently it still sells better. It'll survive talk about alternatives ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
It'll survive talk about alternatives ;)
Then perhaps it should be discussed it in the Omni Lounge section? I would expect that most visitors to this forum, especially those viewing a thread about the OmniFocus 2.0 progress report, are not looking for a discussion on alternatives.

I agree, I WAS not looking for an alternative, but they silence of Omnigroup was the decision maker. I changed to another application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I have found this discussion very interesting. For years, I was always excited about the latest upgrade of any software. I think that was mainly because I was younger, and because software wasn't "complete." There was always stuff that was missing. Now, I look at the apps I use every day, and they have way more features than I will ever use, and most of my "wants" are quibbles or idiosyncratic desires that are wrong or irrelevant for others.

When I first started using OmniFocus, all versions, I was in that "hurry up the the new version" mode. I was impatient for tags/multiple contexts/shiny interface/etc. I'm still waiting :) But along the way the software improved incrementally to the point where it does everything I need it to do. And, when I finally figured out perspectives, it does everything I need it to do with a simplicity and elegance that I appreciate. It isn't the sexiest application in the world, but it helps me live my life and manage the work lives of 100 people.

So, yeah, I'll upgrade to 2.0 when it comes out. But what I got is workin' real good for me now. It's my trusted system. And I waited over 20 years for something like it to show up.

I feel just about the same way as you with respect to OmniFocus 1.x, mostly because the iOS apps have become so darn useful. About the only feature that I am really looking forward to on the desktop is the forecast view, otherwise I'm very happy with it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus View Post
I agree, I WAS not looking for an alternative, but they silence of Omnigroup was the decision maker. I changed to another application.
Sorry for the quiet on our end! We'll be talking a lot more about what we've been up to soon, we've just had a very busy year:

Quote:
OmniFocus has been on speaking terms with Siri since late 2011, of course, but in 2012 we’ve made it more robust and brought support for Siri to the iPad app as well. We also added support for flexible weekly repeats and TextExpander—and just this month we’ve started beta testing our new Mail Drop which lets you email tasks directly to your OmniFocus database.
(See also this timeline… I hope everyone has been enjoying the OmniFocus updates we've shipped this year!)