The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omitting Action Group results from Next Action filter Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Single Actions being included as Next Actions was a choice that was made way back in the public alpha days. There were arguments about it on both sides. If you want the rationale behind it you probably will want to search the forum from way back then.
IIRC, single action lists were added to the program specifically so that single actions would appear under the next action filter. Other than that distinction, single action lists behave just like parallel projects as far as filtering is concerned (which, I understand, is what isn't working for AmberV). The separate color for single action list items was a nod to the folks who wanted them treated differently.

AmberV, a couple of other ideas:

Would it be possible to collect your single action lists (SALs) in a separate folder structure? This makes a focused perspective more robust. For example, I have a perspective that focuses on just my non-work roles. I avoid having to redo this perspective by having a static set of top-level folders. By focusing on the non-work folders I get the results that I want. I don't ever have to update my perspective, because the folders at the top-level don't change. (Of course, the downside is that your SALs wouldn't “live” next to your other projects. That might be a deal breaker.)

More out there: would it work to temporarily change the style of your single actions? Before your review, you could change the style to white text on white background. After your review you could change the style back to blue on white (or whatever).

Be sure to use Help --> Send Feedback to submit a feature request that single action list items be filtered separately from regular next actions. Chatter on the forums makes me think that smart groups are coming of OF 2.0. That would be a logical time for Omni to make that filtering distinction, since we could then get the current behavior by filtering for “Next Action OR Single Action”.

Curt

While "out there" the alternate white-on-white stylesheet idea isn't a bad one, and doesn't require all of the script execution time (still running on an old G5) and fiddling with views that the script method does.

Unfortunately, putting all of them together in a single folder really wouldn't be feasible. A common example in my list is Company->Application->Code Function->Bugs, where {Bugs} is a SAL, and there are probably fifteen such identically titled SALS spread out all over the place. Putting them together would require a great deal of ClutterNaming, and having them separated from the bulk of the group would reduce the effectiveness of in-place Application and Code Function level reviews.

I'll give the stylesheet option a few reviews and see how that goes (I dropped the font size to 9 as well to reduce vertical space). Pity we cannot assign custom stylesheets to perspectives. I'd love "Printable" perspectives looking a certain way and so on.

Anyway I'll send my feedback support for the notion of either smart or more fine-grained filtering. Thanks, all.

Last edited by AmberV; 2009-07-06 at 12:07 PM..

I think every one of AmberV's comments made sense, and I would fully support a filter on a distinction that OF is already able to make (cf styling of SAs). Hope it goes forward.