The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do you handle missed recurring tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have set up several recurring tasks which happen once a week, always the same day. So far so good. What will I do if I have missed such a task, because it is an @Office tasks and I never made it into the office this day, due to whatever reason.

Check it off would report a done task which has not been done. Deleting it would end in deleting the whole repeating task. In MS Outlook I will be asked if I would delete only this item or all other future items as well.

So what I am looking for is some kind of skip this instance but keep the recurring task.

I have not found such a functionality within OF. Any idea where I have to look or is there a workaround?

I would love, love, love a skip. I've requested it via feedback and hope if it would be helpful to others, that they have too.

I've put my daily minutiae into OF and then put the project on hold and then activated it and then put it on hold at least that many times. Why? Because I hate checking off things that I haven't done. I can think of a couple workarounds, but since my things aren't something that I need a report on, I've never done them. I've gone to a paper checklist, but then I never check anything off. Today, I'm activating the project once again.

The workaround that I see is to check them off, then after the new action has been created, go back and delete the thing you didn't really do. Very, very hokey. Or another way I could see is to go back and change the context on the completed items to something else...like "Stuff I didn't actually do".

I would really, really love a skip feature.

I have two approaches to this problem. One is to keep a separate checklist in OmniOutliner for routine tasks. I use this approach for my daily/weekly reviews. The reviews are on my calendar as "appointments with self". My other approach is to keep the repeating items in OF and use the Defer Applescript to push the item back if I don't get to it.

It would probably be straightforward (for a programmer) to change the defer script into a skip script. That would just require automatically deferring by the repeat interval. I agree that having Skip built-in would be useful.

Curt

I might be overlooking something, but what I've done is to comment on a recurring task not performed, before ticking it off. eg. "Didn't get to office this Friday, will take care of this task next Friday instead."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
I might be overlooking something, but what I've done is to comment on a recurring task not performed, before ticking it off. eg. "Didn't get to office this Friday, will take care of this task next Friday instead."
I'm not sure I follow you. If you change the title of the action itself, it will be changed on the subsequent recurrence of the action as well. If you add the comment in a note, that will also be on the new action. I don't know any way to amend or append an action so that it doesn't 'follow' it to the recurrences.

Also, what I'd like to be able to do is a report of what I've completed (which is why clicking completed on the ones that weren't actually completed is so frustrating). So again, whether it's got a note or not, it would show up as completed. If you changed the title on the completed action, or added a note to the completed action, it would accomplish the same thing as my thought to delete them.

Skip would be fantastic! I just marked them off as done now, but skip would be better - maybe a cross in the checkbox rather than a checkmark would easily identify it at a glance without a major change.

you can always keep the task history in the note for the task and just change the due date .. that's what I do with many of my routine repeaters , especially with the lack of " repeating task " designation visible in the UI

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just reset the due date.

I just mark it done. I'm concerned about getting things done in the here and now-- my track record is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malisa View Post
I'm not sure I follow you. If you change the title of the action itself, it will be changed on the subsequent recurrence of the action as well. If you add the comment in a note, that will also be on the new action. I don't know any way to amend or append an action so that it doesn't 'follow' it to the recurrences.

Also, what I'd like to be able to do is a report of what I've completed (which is why clicking completed on the ones that weren't actually completed is so frustrating). So again, whether it's got a note or not, it would show up as completed. If you changed the title on the completed action, or added a note to the completed action, it would accomplish the same thing as my thought to delete them.
You are so right! Stupid me, I hadn't noticed that. Feel a little daft right now! :-)