The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus Loading Time on iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I first started using OF for Iphone, it was great, load time was 5 secs, which in my opinion is really good, but then i bought the Mac version, used the Sync feature and started organizing my life on the Mac Synced with the Iphone etc, the problem started when the file got too big, I did voice recording and this actions or items were being synced back and forth, and the file got a little big...
Loading time increased...

The OF iPhone was crashing when syncing etc. frustration... so what i did was a simple "Move Old data to archive" on the mac, this took a major load off (Audio Files etc), synced... OF iphone back to being smooth and dandy...

My advice - set up 'Archive OmniFocus database' as a monthly action in OmniFocus to remind yourself to do it at the start of each month. Hopefully, some options for doing this by default will appear in later versions of the app.

Well, once I actually get sync working on Bonjour (The current WebDAV isn't working out too well... referring to my active thread on WedDav and Bonjour a thread or two up), I agree this is going to be a problem. I use 3x5 cards always in my pocket. So the time I am measuring against is the time to pull my 3/5 cards out of my shirt pocket, turn over to the back, grab my pen from my pocket. (Enter it all later on my Macbook), which is what i want to replace.

The suggestion made to always keep OF open is a good one, but as another noted, what about calls, other contact lookup's, etc.

I don't know if this is possible, but what about a stand alone ap for Iphone that is extracted by the developers for inbox input? The application would be a small simple entry ap just for dropping things in the inbox? I figure it would be smaller and not have to load all the data in OF providing a quick way to just enter Inbox items? (Just a thought... This is IMHO the base GTD application out there and I am grateful for the work done by the developers.
(AT&T should be also, as I only bought my Iphone 3G for OF! I already have a Blackerry and my personal verizon phone, soon I will need a "BAT Belt!:D)

Per the " omnifocus for iPhone " twitter feed . the next update will let you open a new inbox item before the application finishes loading ..

in addition to bonjour sync over Wi-fi .. This is probably the feature I'm looking forward to the most .. and I'm still checking the app store a few times a day to see if it's posted yet ..

I'm hoping if it's not posted by Tuesday,Omni will check in with apple [if they haven't already ] since that would be two weeks per the omnifocus iPhone twitter feed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Sorry, we're not ignoring this thread; we've just been very busy!

I just launched OmniFocus on my iPhone (from the home screen), and according to my stopwatch it took 4.9 seconds before it was ready to accept input. (I currently have 1,124 tasks in my database.) I launched the built-in Notes app (which is much simpler than OmniFocus), and it took about 4 seconds.

Now, I know that OmniFocus doesn't always launch in less than 5 seconds—and we're busy working to make OmniFocus load faster, sync faster, and to let you immediately switch over to adding a new inbox item without waiting for OmniFocus to finish loading your data in the background. But it's important to be realistic about how much faster it's possible for OmniFocus to be.

P.S. — I also realize that if the phone is asleep in your hand it will take even longer to unlock it before launching OmniFocus, and that if you left the phone running another app it could take even longer as you switch to the home screen—but those delays are common to launching all iPhone apps and I'm afraid that it's not something we have any control over. If you'd like to see the ability to launch third-party apps by double-clicking on the home button, please submit your iPhone feedback to Apple! (Hopefully Apple counts votes for requests like that, as we do for our apps.)
Wow! Over 1000 tasks... under 5 seconds. Ken, do you have "Autosync disabled" on start-up if you don't mind me asking? I am awaiting Bounjour as my first priority over Webdav. But right after I will run in to this issue.
I have seen many good suggestions. I don't mind having to manually sync
when I get back to my desk. In fact, I would be likely to disable autosync on
start anyway as I won't be near my MBP when I am whipping the Iphone out to add to the inbox. I suspect starting OF and the timeout itself will add full seconds to the delay. Is this the solution? Because I won't have the luxury of archiving. I have projects with hundreds of tasks that will remain active well over a year. So this is really an important issue to many obviously.

Many thanks for a great GTD product. I am the "test subject" before many other GTD followers at work jump on the bandwagon. (Oh yes, and perhaps off topic, but THANKS! for adding the ability to read a .vsd to Omnigrapple!!!

Mark

Now that Things syncs with Mac for a while via Bonjour, I've got used to it starting up in an instant and doing a sync with the Mac if both iPhone and Mac are on the same network. Remembering how long it took OF to load, this keeps me in Things for now on the iPhone. I use Things as a kind of "most fun" list, while use OF for a comprehensive hierarchical system on the Mac. Now that there's a competition, one will always compare startup and sync times of Things and OF -- and currently, Things sets the bar, IMHO.

Bonjour sync via wi-fi is supposed to be on the way .
No idea why the update is taking this long to be approved by apple .
According to omni's post on twitter , tomorrow makes two weeks since it was submitted . I bet their bonjour wi-fi sync is just as good if not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
Bonjour sync via wi-fi is supposed to be on the way .
No idea why the update is taking this long to be approved by apple .
According to omni's post on twitter , tomorrow makes two weeks since it was submitted . I bet their bonjour wi-fi sync is just as good if not better.
Besides, comparing Bonjour Wi-Fi sync to WebDAV sync is like comparing apples to oranges. They're really two very different mechanisms, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Bonjour sync doesn't do me any good if my Mac is at home while I'm on the road. Worse yet, if my iPhone gets lost, stolen, smashed, or suffers from a catastrophic data loss, everything since my last sync is gone. I don't know about you, but I don't trust my iPhone that much.

Or, if I'm in a hurry to rush out the door to catch the train, I grab my iPhone and my hat and I'm gone. With WebDAV sync, I can update my iPhone on the way. With Bonjour sync, I'm stuck using old data.

-Dennis

I think there is use for both. I have WebDav working. But ironically when at work I can't access my server unless I run outside the NYSE, sync via 3G and run back in :D Here Bonjour will serve me well. I can sync with my Webdav server at the end of the day.

Hum.. I don't know enough about Bonjour... Am I running a risk of corruption since I would be syncing with both Bonjour on the local Mac, and my Webdav server when on the road?

It will be a one or the other situation, not both. That is, if you continue with WebDAV you won't be able to use Wi-Fi synching and vice versa.