The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnigraffle 6.0.1 but not separated panel Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I believed that this update will correct the "bug" of inspector fixed but not...

@kcase is still arguing hopefully on Twitter that one can get used to it ...

They'll have to take stock in a week or two.

This pattern of initially putting out UI designs that over-promote (and over-allocate space to) themselves, pushing the user's attention, data and workspace into secondary position, must be proving costly, in terms both of brand and of salary-hours.

(See, for example, the withdrawal of draft 1 of OF2 for OSX, which came from a similar period of unproductively blank-cheque design work).

I bought a couple licenses for my UX/UI team and upgraded my copy. Today I downgraded and will not be using the new version until they fix their mistake of locking the inspector and stencil to the workspace window. We all have dual monitors that work quite well for holding all the necessary stencils and inspectors and would prefer to work that way if we so choose. Since OmniGraffle 6 doesn't allow this any more, we won't be using it.

Unfortunate...

Lets hope that the upgrade harvest isn't blighted by the UI bloat.

Typing harvest-time to refreshed UI must have looked like a rational strategy just after OF for iPad proved very popular on the strength of Forecast and Review, plus the new touch medium.

Perhaps everyone (not just Microsoft) was surprised to discover that convergence of touch and desktop is not so straightforward, and that the skill-sets needed are not quite the same. Touch is new, and its markets tolerant, but visual media have been around for a while, and visual optimisation is more demanding ...

[QUOTE=RobTrew;127741]@kcase is still arguing hopefully on Twitter that one can get used to it ...

I've tried and no way I'm used to it. I confess I do regret buying a license before trying this time. It's unusable for me with pinned inspectors, and I am sticking with 5.44 until a fix.

I agree, I can't use with a pinned inspector. I have to keep OG 5.44….

I have also postponed an upgrade purchase due to this. ...pt

Add +1 from me; I do not like the new interface at all as it detracts from the drawing area. Have Omni lost their way both with OG and OO4?

I've tried to love the new design. Truly, I have. However, the love isn't coming in this arranged marriage. Of particular concern to me is how little real estate I have on my MacBook Pro for the actual display and manipulation of my work product.

Please, please, please Ken et al: at least let us have a Preferences-level control on the inspector behavior.

Please can you allow us to use the old inspector windows. When I need to edit strokes and so forth, and then align shapes, I have to scroll up and down constantly.

To exacerbate the point, not all inspector preferences can be pinned to the top.

After years of waiting for a major release, this seems a backward step - I've postponed purchasing the license due to this, sticking on 5.4 until this is fixed.

Frustrating.