The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dates or Perspectives to Split Out Work/Weekend? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Wondering if this can be done in OF but can't find a way. In simple terms. Tasks related to work I only want to see Monday through Friday, even if they are available/overdue, those related to personal I only want to see Saturday and Sunday, again, even if overdue.

For example. I have a work task that became due on Wednesday which I don't complete. I expect to see it in OF Wednesday, Thursday and Friday but then not again until Monday. For personal tasks it works the same but in reverse.

I have looked at all available date settings, and messed with perspectives but am not smart enough to know if this can be done.

Can anyone suggest a way to achieve this.

Many thanks,

David

David, we've got an open feature request on activating or deactivating project statuses based on the time, which would be one way to achieve this. If you'd like, I could attach you to that feature request.

At the moment, though, it's only possible to achieve what you're looking for by editing the items you want to defer in this manner. (Or running a script that does so, like Dan Byler's script.)

Here's a different way to part that feline from its protective fur covering:

Assuming your work tasks and your personal tasks are not commingled in the same project, make a folder for your work projects and a folder for your personal projects. Now when you focus on the work folder (select the folder in the sidebar and use the toolbar Focus button), you will only see actions from the projects therein, and similarly with the personal folder. Make yourself a set of perspectives that selects only one of the folders, making sure that the Restore: Focus box is ticked in the Perspectives window, and you can switch back and forth between those views easily, regardless of what day or time it is.

If you really want to get some Rube Goldberg action, and want it to automatically jump to the proper perspective based on date/time, you can do it in conjunction with iCal. OmniFocus can be instructed to open a perspective if you open a URL of the form omnifocus:///perspective/perspectivename (yes, there are 3 '/' characters, not 2), and iCal as one of its alarm choices can run a script. If you had a perspective named "Work projects", the following Applescript would open it:

Code:
do shell script "open omnifocus:///perspective/Work%20projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
David, we've got an open feature request on activating or deactivating project statuses based on the time, which would be one way to achieve this. If you'd like, I could attach you to that feature request.
+1 to the feature request for project & task availability to be date/time aware

Last edited by RicardoSaporta; 2012-02-19 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: typo