The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Creating new perspective whacked main project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, guys,

I tried to create a new perspective today and ended up trashing my main project. Very upsetting.

I eventually recovered a database from yesterday, but in order for OF to correctly import that DB, I had to first completely disable sync on all platforms. (Otherwise, after importing the old backup, OF on my Mac immediately went to sync with the "corrupt" DB that I'd messed up when I tried to create a new Perspective, thus overwriting the importing of the reliable backup.)

Anyway, here's the million dollar question:

If I open my main project, which is called "Today," type a string into the Search window at the top right ("Sync") to show me just items with the word "sync" in them, can I then create a perspective from the results? Because when I tried to do that, it DID create such a perspective (I think), but in the process, it DESTROYED my Today project. The perspective called "Today" that I used to display my Today project on the screen now contained ALL my projects!

Much appreciation for any help. Thanks.

--Sandy

Did you keep a copy of the whacked database? If it was really damaged in some way, the support ninjas might be able to find some clues in the transaction history.

My suspicion is that your project data was not messed up, but that you accidentally changed some settings on your perspective. Sounds like losing the sidebar selection would give the results you saw, if I am understanding your description of the setup and events.

I really think this is user error. I haven't created a perspective in a long time, so I've forgotten exactly how it works. I guess my main question is: can the search box at the top right be used as a filter to provide a Perspective of a Project that is filtered.

At first I though you were right, because I just opened OF on my Mac and got the pid error. So I rebuilt the database and then it seemed OK. I tried creating the Perspective again and it worked this time! It didn't corrupt the Project it was filtering.