The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

new sync to iPod script Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywest View Post
This OmniFocus iPod Exporter looks fantastic but I can't seem to get it to work.
Thanks. I am sorry that it doesn't work. I will try to help you.

Quote:
There are no installation or usage instructions so I am really having to guess how to get it to work.
Good observation. I will add some information on my website.

Quote:
Can you elaborate how to use and troubleshoot this script?
Are you using the latest version or the version that used to be posted in this thread? The latest version will check properly for the iPod attached to your computer.

Can you tell me which model of iPod you have? Quoting Apple, "The Notes feature is available on iPods that have a dock connector. This includes iPod mini, iPod (with Dock Connector), and iPod (Click Wheel) models." so will the script. I will add a check for that.

Quote:
Where is it installed?When do you run it?
It can be run as a standalone script through the script editor or you can install in your ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus directory. You can then customize your toolbar to have a button to show the script.

Quote:
Does the iPod need to be in Disk Mode at the time the script is run?
Yes, you must enable Disk Mode to have the script to work properly.

Rod
OmniFocus iPod exporter

Last edited by RodCloutier; 2007-08-17 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Corrected typo

Thanks, Rod, for this great script. I have but one request: not limiting the Context view to only next actions. I'd most like to use OmniFocus on my iPod for my errand list, and when I'm out and about I'd like to see "buy milk" and "buy eggs" rather than just whichever one happens to be the next action.

Is that doable? I'm wondering why you decided to limit it to next actions to begin with - available actions would be better for me.

Thanks!
David

Great update!
Another thing i really need - I have 137 proejcts with 290 available tasks. and 619 remaining tasks so if I use your script as is then it exceeds maximum number of notes that IiPod supports (1000 notes) so I have to edit each new version of your script to remove syncing of projects and sync only contexts. Could you make it an option or just make another version of script or make it easy to change the code so I could use to sync only contexts?

Thanks for the help Rod. I am using v0.3 downloaded directly from your site. I have the latest generation of the video iPod. I have opened the script in Script Editor and enabled disk use through iTunes. I run the script and I get the "Exporting to iPod" prompt. I click OK and then script seems to run for about 30 seconds until it comes back with the "Done!" message. It doesn't give me error message even though I see you have some error checking in the script. I check the Notes folder both through the iPod UI and through the Finder and there is nothing in that folder.

The script seems to run without error and seems to produce some result but it seems it is not putting it on the iPod? Any ideas?

Just to update my previous post.... I found the "OmniFocus" folder this script created... it was sitting at the root of my hard drive in a folder called "Notes". So it would seem to me that the script has a problem detecting the difference between my iPod drive and my MacBook drive. What would I need to do to remedy this so the script writes to the iPod?

I installed and ran the script with no problem .. but it says " no iPod detected " script will stop .. I took the ' out of my ipod name .. not sure what else might be wrong ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderbrother View Post
Thanks, Rod, for this great script. I have but one request: not limiting the Context view to only next actions.
You are welcome. Limiting to Context view can be easily done. I will work on a dialog to specifiy options as soon as I come back from vacation (early september). In the mean time, I think (not tested though) you can change the line(135) :

Code:
set nextAction to next of firstTask
to

Code:
set nextAction to true

Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by granin View Post
Great update!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by granin View Post
Could you make it an option or just make another version of script or make it easy to change the code so I could use to sync only contexts?
I wasn't aware of the 1000 file limit. Maybe I need to rethink the way it is done and provide an option to store the task in files instead of using a file for each task. I will see. As I mentioned in my previous reply, I will work on a set of options for the script. (Not before early September though)

For the time being, as you probably already know, you can disable (prefix with -- or remove) the following line from the script:

Code:
createProjectFilesOrFolders(topLevelProjectsAndFolders, projectsPath)
Rod

Quote:
Just to update my previous post.... I found the "OmniFocus" folder this script created... it was sitting at the root of my hard drive in a folder called "Notes". So it would seem to me that the script has a problem detecting the difference between my iPod drive and my MacBook drive. What would I need to do to remedy this so the script writes to the iPod?
Hmm. I haven't seen this behavior before. Do you have, by any chance, a iPod_Control directory at the root of your MacBook ?

You could always try to change the following line(44), replacing your_iPod_name_here by the name of your iPod:

Code:
set omniFocusPath to (POSIX path of iPodPath) & "/Notes/OmniFocus"
to

Code:
set omniFocusPath to "/Volumes/" & "your_iPod_name_here" & "/Notes/OmniFocus"

Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
I installed and ran the script with no problem .. but it says " no iPod detected " script will stop .. I took the ' out of my ipod name .. not sure what else might be wrong ?
What generation of iPod do you have? The script works with the latest generation of iPods that support the Notes.

Rod