The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle based Prototype App - An UX Designers Dream Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been using OmniGraffle Pro for a long time now, but I find myself constantly longing for a way of turning my wireframes into a working prototype.

Come on. If any Mac-Company can do it, it is you.

I would upgrade to this in an instant. There are an awful lot of Mac users in the user experience field, and there's definitely a need for better interactive prototyping tools.

I have to agree with everyone on this. Having been a user of tools like Axure, I can see how a prototyping extension would really be great in some respects. When Flash Catalyst comes out, it will be very hard for me to justify staying with OmniGraffle if the product roadmap doesn't include more prototyping functionality than the current save as pdf/html, which is serviceable for some purposes, but very limited for prototyping. This is from someone who has been using and evangelizing OG for interface/interaction designers since v. 1.

I'm not sure if attention will get paid to this thread however. To whomever started this, be sure to also make your suggestions known via the Omni Support email address and point them here.

100% agree with this request. Also, another amazing feature would be the ability to manage website copy on a per element basis and then be able to export this into some type of format that could be used for marketing or editors to review. Developers, feel free to email me to discuss further.

In addition to looking at Axure, Omni should check out tools like http://rapidrabb.it/ This is very much like producing a diagram in OG, with options to add attributes to elements placed on the page.

The more I think about how we extend OG to do more and more interface/interaction design document, the more I wonder if OG is the right tool for the job. I don't think this is necessarily within scope for OG, and I've never heard Omni come forth and say this space is important.

Having said that, however, I can see OmniGroup creating a new product based on OG that does more than OG can ever do with regard to extending it's ability to create interactive elements in an exported prototype. If RapidRabbit produced their tool as an affordable standalone Mac app, I would seriously consider using it instead of OG. I would do the same if Axure produced an affordable Mac version.

So, I guess the ball is now in Omni's court. Do they think we're a sizable enough market to target as one of the primary use cases for OG? If they do, can they envision a product roadmap that takes our needs into account, e.g. as a paid product add on, plugin, etc. or by creating a separate product?

If Omni were interested in taking us seriously, I would be happy to participate in earnest to the discussion. When I design interfaces, I spend something like 50% of my time drawing on paper and the other 50% in OmniGraffle.

I would also love to see such a tool from you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbajabba View Post
The more I think about how we extend OG to do more and more interface/interaction design document, the more I wonder if OG is the right tool for the job. I don't think this is necessarily within scope for OG, and I've never heard Omni come forth and say this space is important.
You are right. Perhaps I was misleading with my first post. When I wrote that I would like to seem a "Graffle based tool" I was thinking of a new Software, not an extension to Graffle. But somethng which offers the same ease of use with palettes, stencils, alignments.

For prototyping, one surely needs objects with editable properties, these could be contents of DropDown Menus & Lists but also animation properties like Fade-In and -Out, Resizes. Moves and so on.

Quote:
I'm not sure if attention will get paid to this thread however. To whomever started this, be sure to also make your suggestions known via the Omni Support email address and point them here.
I followed your suggestion and here is the answer from Omni:

Quote:
Yes, based on the amount of feedback in that thread and elsewhere, we've opened up an entry in our tracking database (which conveniently has a separate area for product suggestions) for a prototyping tool of some sort.

I've added your comments there, and I guess we'll see how that fares amongst the other many product suggestions we have floating about.

Cheers, and thanks for the feedback!

Joel Page
Product Manager, OmniGraffle
The Omni Group
Please tell everyone you know who would be interested in prototype tool to weigh in his opinion here. The more feedback we can generate, the more likely it is, that Omni will follow our suggestion.

To clarify: sending email is the way to get your feedback recorded. We browse the forums as we're able and respond to posts, but we don't guarantee that everything here will get captured.

Quote:
I would do the same if Axure produced an affordable Mac version.
So i'm browsing the OmniGraffle forums to see if i could find some opinions on Axure vs OG. I must say i am very impressed with Axure for Mac and how easy it is to create a workable wireframe with links, exported to HTML. I can basically put together a whole wireframe, link it up, export, upload… in minutes having the client interact with my new wireframe.

I do hope OmniGroup is paying attention cause the competition is getting closer.