The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A better Miscellaneous folder? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey all,

One of the cool little features I dig about OmniFocus is how you can add contexts to Inbox items (or include them with emailed tasks), and after "clean up," OF automatically puts them into a Miscellaneous folder.

Trouble is, my task organization starts with two main folders: Office and Personal. So what ends up happening is that the actions get cleaned up into the Miscellaneous folder, and then I have to individually move them (at least the Office ones), into a separate Misc project in the Office folder.

This is a huge pain and time waster. True, I could just look at tasks based on context, but then what would be the point of folders?

Ideally, it would be nice if you could have tasks without a project "clean up" into certain folders based on their context.

Does anyone have a similar issue? How have you solved it?

You are asking for Smart Folders right? :)

Currently I just Process things and move them where they need to go, which I think is a good thing as it allows me to insure that I've captured everything pertaining to that particular item (things tend to become quite tangential during the capturing and processing phase, so I don't mind the manual organization aspect of things too much).

But some sort of 'Smartness' would be nice (I like that about the Hit List app)

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
You are asking for Smart Folders right? :)

Currently I just Process things and move them where they need to go, which I think is a good thing as it allows me to insure that I've captured everything pertaining to that particular item (things tend to become quite tangential during the capturing and processing phase, so I don't mind the manual organization aspect of things too much).

But some sort of 'Smartness' would be nice (I like that about the Hit List app)
Smart folders would be neat, but that's not what I'm looking for. I like that it cleans up tasks to a Misc. folder. It's just that with multiple areas of focus, the current method leaves me with 2 inboxes that I have to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimbleysweep View Post
Smart folders would be neat, but that's not what I'm looking for. I like that it cleans up tasks to a Misc. folder. It's just that with multiple areas of focus, the current method leaves me with 2 inboxes that I have to manage.
Then don't do it that way :-)

If you've truly divided up your projects into two or more folders, and you only want to look at the tasks from one folder at a time, click on the folder in the sidebar, then right-click and select Focus (or use Edit->Focus on ...). Now when you go to context mode, you'll only see the tasks from the projects in that folder. You can make a perspective that does this for you automatically giving you one-button access if you put it in the toolbar.

As for filing large numbers of actions with no project assigned into the respective folder's Miscellaneous project, do you know that you can select multiple items at once, bring up the Inspector, and set the project (or context, or start date, or whatever) for the whole bunch simultaneously?