The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfer from OmniOutliner to OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am probably just not seeing something obvious but I've been using OF for a while now and have started using OO to track various things outside the scope of OF.

One of those things is tracking meeting/call notes and, at the end of the meetings/call, I tend to have a number of action items that I'd like to add to OF but I would prefer it if I could just do it in one fell swoop rather than piece by piece.

I was wondering if there was any easy way to do this?

OmniFocus has a feature that allows you to "clip" selected text from other applications and make it into a new action in your OF database. (You hit a keyboard shortcut that you define; the selected text becomes a new action in your OF database.)

The "Clipping material from other applications" page in OmniFocus' help menu material can help you set up the clipping feature if you aren't already using it.

Does that help?

Brian - thanks for your reply but that doesn't quite do what I'm after as I would still have to do it 1 by 1.

In an ideal world I'd be able to select N items in OO and create N items in OF's inbox (in Utopia I'd be able to select a parent and have a project made with actions made from it's children).

Does that explain my goals a little clearer?

If you want to transfer rows from OO to OF, just use copy and paste. You can select a whole bunch of rows at once, then paste them into OF. There's a small trick involved -- you want to be sure you aren't editing a row in OF when you do the paste, or you will end up with a multi-line row instead of multiple rows. You'll even get your hierarchy preserved, and if you have multiple columns in the OO document, you'll get a little popup window asking how to map the extra columns into OF data.

whpalmer4 - Thank you! That's exactly what I was after!!