The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Filter bar changes coming in OmniFocus 1.8 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawichita View Post
Is any way to create a perspective with "Due and Available", "Fagged and Available" and "(Due or Flagged) and Available"? On 1.8?
There's an app for that 2nd perspective, but it's not OmniFocus ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Yes, 1.8 supports all of these combinations.
Great. Now if we can only run 1.8 on my Mac. It seems like it might solve some of the problems we are seeing in iPhone 1.6 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Apparently there is a lack of imagination here. With 1.8's revamping of the action filter, why not allow the specification of due or due soon behavior on a per-perspective basis? The 1.6 iPhone app isn't the last revision that will ever ship.

Based on the reaction to this issue, I can just imagine the complaints likely to be seen when the first 2.0 images arrive and turn out not to have implemented everyone's pet 2.0 feature in the precise manner they expected....
Bill, I wonder if it might be possible for you or someone at Omni to clarify what your role is with respect to OmniFocus and the forums? I'm unclear if you are now speaking from a user-to-user perspective, or from an official Omni presence (e.g. the 'Setting distance limit for Nearby Contexts feature' thread).

If your role is that of a user-to-user, then your personal opinions have just as much validity as any other user, and will be respected as such. I wouldn't mind at all if you say that anyone with an opinion different from yours must lack imagination.

However, if you are speaking from an official Omni presence, then that changes the game somewhat. I expect that other users would be more inclined to voice an opinion on a topic and/or feature set (pro or con) when it is an official Omni position. If you are posting from both perspectives, perhaps some means of differentiating when you are speaking user-to-user and when you are speaking for Omni would be helpful.

Greg, I'm just another user, one who decided that the best way to fill in gaps in his knowledge of the Omni tools he used was to try to figure out the answers to questions posted on the forums (a very successful approach!) I was also one of the alpha testers for the 1.6 iPhone firmware, largely due to my ability and willingness to send in a large number of bug reports, I suspect. I get no compensation for any of this except the satisfaction of the occasional "hey, thanks!" from people I've helped with my efforts. Some members of my household think I should spend more time on their problems than yours, but that's crazy talk :-)

Thaks Ken. And very nice news. Go on

Last edited by nawichita; 2010-01-13 at 11:30 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
There's an app for that 2nd perspective, but it's not OmniFocus ;-)
Ja, ja, ja. True

Last edited by nawichita; 2010-01-18 at 02:23 AM..

That's something I would really like to see. As I understand GTD, the start date is almost more important than the due date. I know you put start dates in the future to hide things until they are ready, but sometimes you want to get a quick look at whether there is anything in that cue in the immediate future (just like due soon).

Along the same lines, I wish I could control with the sort order was descending or ascending. The same goes for the Mac client as well, but it's more of a profound drag on the iphone app, because there is no fast way to scroll to the bottom of a list, like there is to scroll to the top.

That or if there was a way to collapse certain headings, like on the mac, that might work too (So if I don't want to scroll through all my overdue entries and I just want to see the stuff from the last month, I can do that.

The screen state of the headers is something that is not respected in the perspectives on the phone right now either. If it were, it would be alleviated somewhat.

I use a "tickler" perspective that shows remaining actions grouped by start date, with most of the groups closed. It's easy to open up the "tomorrow" and "next week" groups for a quick check if needed, or make a separate "starting soon" perspective that only has those groups open.

I agree that the lack of closed groupings on the iPhone is annoying, but not as annoying to me as not having the ability to do any sort of "start" or "tickler" list was prior to the perspectives feature, so I'm happy to do some extra scrolling to avoid having to do my old workarounds with flags and due dates which diluted the usefulness of those features for me. One comment I made during the alpha test was that some means of jumping to "today" in the long list would ameliorate the lack of grouping for many purposes.

As always, if a potential feature is important to you, send in that feedback...

Agree that a "today" button as you describe it would help a lot and is probably the easiest thing to implement.

This is a huge flaw in the iphone OS in general. It has top of page shortcut, but no bottom of page.

What's the top of page shortcut?

Note that "bottom of page" is likely to be different from "today" for date-based perspectives. For my data, today is usually only about 20% of the way through the list!